Loose cutting wheel on angle grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
I am cutting some tops off some kegs and purchased the 4.5 inch Ryobi grinder from Lowes. I then bought the thinnest cutting blade they had. It fit pretty loose (i think it was 1/16 inch) even when the nut was turned the correct way. I bought a slightly larger one (1/8) but havent tried it yet. I had a washer that was close to the size of the threaded bolt the nut goes on. It didnt fit perfect so I drilled the inner part to where it would fit. I went through a few discs due to the washer rubbing up against the disc.

Anyone else have this problem and find a solution, or did you just go up a size in the disc thickness?

Don't have the Ryobi grinder but, FWIW, the thin disks work fine on my Milwaukee angle grinder when the nut is turned the right way.

Post up a pic of the parts.
I picked up an adapter at Home depot for my De Walt grinder, lets you adapt from thin to thick wheels, cupped wheels, etc.....
But, as mentioned, flip the washer from side to side and look for the raised lip, and see what fits your disc.
If you need to space it away from the grinder, go and eyeball the adapters at H D or Lowes.

BTW, If you need parts for a Ryobi product you will need to go to a Home Depot as Ryobi is distributed through Home Depot. AFAIK.

Post up a pic of the parts.
I picked up an adapter at Home depot for my De Walt grinder, lets you adapt from thin to thick wheels, cupped wheels, etc.....
But, as mentioned, flip the washer from side to side and look for the raised lip, and see what fits your disc.
If you need to space it away from the grinder, go and eyeball the adapters at H D or Lowes.

BTW, do have a link to the adapter?

i looked for an adapter at HD when i bought my grinder as i figured it would happen. I didnt see one then. I even went back to find a proper size washer and looked again in case i missed it. Im running by lowes today to get a step-bit so ill check there.

Don't have it right here to take a picture, but from memory the way it works on my angle grinder is that onto the arbor goes a flange washer. This flange washer sits on the arbor so that the arbor protrudes just slightly through it. The thin disks pilot on the small bit of the arbor that protrudes through the flange washer and are clamped against the flange washer by the flat side of the nut.

For the thicker disks, they pilot a little bit on the arbor that sticks through the flange washer but mostly they pilot on the side of the nut with the raised lip when it's flipped over to face the disk.

Sounds like maybe the flange washer supplied with your grinder isn't the right one....being a little too thin, assuming it's a similar setup.

I just got a 1/8" disk instead of a 1/16" inch and performed surgery on another keg this past weekend. The 1/8" did a good job and was a tight fit. Probably not as fast as a tight 1/16", but it served its purpose.

You can just grind down the adapter so that you can get it to tighten on a 1/16 disc. I've done it on a lot of grinders. This does require another grinder. I've also just used old used up 1/16 discs as spacers.

If anyone reads this thread in the future, some grinders have you turn the flanged washer that is under the grinding wheel over to run a thin disc instead of the nut. In theory, the depression on one side of the nut should overlap the raised area on the flanged washer. But who's to say what's what if a lawyer got involved. Best to vote with your money. If I had a grinder I couldn't put a thin disc on, the flanged washer or nut causing the issue would have a date with another grinder until it did work.

You may also try sourcing type 27 wheels. They have a raised center and are thicker in that area. Some even come with a nut built in so you don't have to mess with the separate nut.

You can also use a worn down disc as a spacer as long as the flanged washer engages both of them.

Tighten the arbor hand tight. It will self tighten as much as it needs to once you use it. You can then easily change wheels by grabbing the wheel and turning it with the arbor locked instead of searching around for your arbor wrench. Unplugged of course.

Back