Looks like I tightened by bottling bucket spigot too much...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4k4

Reaction score
Luckily bucket was filled with sanitizer when this failed on me, and the thing was over the sink... :D

ForumRunner_20110627_160716.jpg

I always have some bottling-spigot related issue or other. Like the one time I didn't quite tighten it well enough and didn't discover it until after I had filled the bottling bucket with beer. Oops. I'm not sure if you can sanitize your arm, but that's what I attempted to do before I reached in and tightened the spigot. Beer turned out OK though.

Then there was the approximately 8000 times that I filled the bucket with the spigot set to "ON". Luckily I've always caught those pretty quick.

RIT_Warrior said:
I always have some bottling-spigot related issue or other. Like the one time I didn't quite tighten it well enough and didn't discover it until after I had filled the bottling bucket with beer. Oops. I'm not sure if you can sanitize your arm, but that's what I attempted to do before I reached in and tightened the spigot. Beer turned out OK though.

Then there was the approximately 8000 times that I filled the bucket with the spigot set to "ON". Luckily I've always caught those pretty quick.

No, you can't sanitize your arm :) I have a pair of Blichmann nitrile gloves that can be, though.

My first batch I lost about a six pack of Oatmeal Stout due to my spigot being open while filling the bottling bucket. I had to mop the dining room floor 4 times! I've never done that since.

My first batch I lost about a six pack of Oatmeal Stout due to my spigot being open while filling the bottling bucket. I had to mop the dining room floor 4 times! I've never done that since.

The spigot is set to such a height that you aren't paying attention at all when it gets to that level. You'll always be off sanatizing or something when you hear the "oh ****" noise.

Back