Looking to try mead and would love some guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a little over a year and a half now and am interested in fermenting some different beverages. I have found mead hard to come by commercially so I don't really know what I am aiming for but I am interested in giving it a shot. If anyone has any suggestions of where to start and how to do that, I would be very appreciative.

I am a little afraid of the price of ingredients for a drink I do not know if I like so I was thinking of making a lower gravity 2.5 gallon batch. I have also watched some videos of meads with fruit in them and they look delicious. Unless you think this is a bad path, I would really appreciate some help with a recipe for a session able mead with fruit added.

I would also love any advice on where to start and head to next!

Thanks,

Brewshki

Try Jacks Apricot in the mead recipe section. If done it with dried mangoes, and my favorite is, craisins. I used 2 cups, added a couple of cinnamon Sticks and 2 games tablespoons vanilla.
Brew on.
Some may take 6 months or more to be good.

I made my first batch of mead three months ago. I did exactly what you are talking about. I made a lower gravity one-gallon batch. I used 1.75 lbs of affordable honey and fermented it dry. It was an inexpensive way to delve into something that could otherwise be an expensive venture. I also added fruit. Here's the recipe below. It came out great and as ready in about a month. My fiancé, who doesn't like beer and doesn't drink too often, finished it it no time.

1 Gallon Strawberry Banana Mead

1.75 lbs Honey
0.5 lbs of frozen and thawed strawberries
2 over-ripe frozen and thawed bananas
Lavalin yeast
yeast nutrients
pectic enymes

I did not boil the honey. I heated the water to 150 F, added the honey and fruit, let it steep for 15 minutes, put it in a sanitized fermentor, cooled to 75, and added the rehydrated yeast/nutrients/and enzymes. I saw active fermentation within 3 hours. I let it ferment at 65, adding nutrients every three or four days. I racked it off of the fruit after about ten days. I continued to rack it every seven to ten days until ready ( about a month). It came out great. didn't carbonate it.

We are now doing a four gallon batch of semi-sweet still mead without fruit.

Hi

try something easy and basic, like a BOMM or the JAOM, avoid the complex recipes for the momment.

i start with the BOOM using Lalvin K1V and i was drinking a good mead in about 5-6 weeks.

once you make nice show mead then jump to the spices and fruits.

thats my two cents.

I have been brewing beer for a little over a year and a half now and am interested in fermenting some different beverages. I have found mead hard to come by commercially so I don't really know what I am aiming for but I am interested in giving it a shot. If anyone has any suggestions of where to start and how to do that, I would be very appreciative.

I am a little afraid of the price of ingredients for a drink I do not know if I like so I was thinking of making a lower gravity 2.5 gallon batch. I have also watched some videos of meads with fruit in them and they look delicious. Unless you think this is a bad path, I would really appreciate some help with a recipe for a session able mead with fruit added.

I would also love any advice on where to start and head to next!

Thanks,

Brewshki
I know some people prefer local honey, that's great and it is more expensive unless you strike a good deal. I find "affordable" honey at Costco and trader Joe's... The source should be on the lable. Some Trader Joe imports could be questionable ( I've heard Turkish honey may acctually contain Chinese)

I was reading this last issue of Zymurgy and they had an ad for 1 gallon wine kits that come with a little big mouth bubbler and a 1 gallon jug and I think I am going to go the small batch route when it comes to mead and wine. I really don't know if I like mead but I know I want to try making it and have fun with it. 1 gallon batches seem cheap and an easy way to learn.

I was reading this last issue of Zymurgy and they had an ad for 1 gallon wine kits that come with a little big mouth bubbler and a 1 gallon jug and I think I am going to go the small batch route when it comes to mead and wine. I really don't know if I like mead but I know I want to try making it and have fun with it. 1 gallon batches seem cheap and an easy way to learn.

One gallon is a good way to try something new I think. Mead can ferment very dry with some yeasts, I like dry wine and the occasional semi dry so I'm okay with that, but, I found for gift giving mead, people pretty much expect it to have some sweetness.

Back