Looking to Start All-Grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biking_Brewer

Reaction score
Hey folks. First off I just wanna say thanks to everyone that posts on this forum. This is my first official post but I've been reading for months. What a great resource!

Up to this point I've been doing full boil, extract batches using my 10 gallon Blichmann kettle and Blichmann burner. I've got my sanitation and fermentation processes locked down and my results have been great. I now want to get into all-grain, however I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options for equipment out there.

I've considered getting a Blichmann Top Tier stand and two additional Blichmann kettles, but the idea of having the HLT above my head doesn't really excite me. I'd prefer one tier, but two would be acceptable as well. I'd like to start simple, but not so simple that I sacrifice quality or effectiveness. Then once I get comfortable with the process and understand how I like to do things, I would invest in a high-end, quality brew stand/setup. Of course I'd like to utilize the equipment that I already have as well. So question is, what would you recommend for equipment to get started with all-grain?

Also, cost is not a huge concern at this point. I want to make sure I'm getting equipment that will help me best learn and master the process. I want to do it right the first time and set myself up for success. Lastly, I don't have much time for DIY solutions. Between full-time employment and graduate school, there isn't a whole lot of extra time on my hands.

I don't have any stands and as you can see, I use gravity for my current setup. I move Hot Liquor water from my Keggle HLT to the Cooler MLT via a graduated bucket.

The Wort drains from the MLT to my boil kettle which is on the burner on cinder blocks. That elevates it enough to drain into fermenter buckets. It breaks down and goes back in the garage when done.

GhettoBrewSystem.jpg

I use a converted keg, cooler, and a turkey fryer pot with a jack cart for my all grain set up. Very low tech, great results.

IMG_3469.jpg

I am also very low tech. I boil on a turkey fryer and use the pot it came with for a boil kettle. I mash in a converted 10 gallon round cooler with a stainless steel braid. I have less than $100 wrapped up between the fryer with pot and mashtun. Works well. After a ton of reading here and other places I decided low tech was the way to go bang for the buck as well as time spent brewing.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll be going with a cooler for both the HLT and MLT to start. Seems like the simplest and cheapest way to start.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll be going with a cooler for both the HLT and MLT to start. Seems like the simplest and cheapest way to start.

Have you considered BIAB?- no extra equipment necessary apart from the bag. I know it doesn't exactly appeal to the new flashy gadgets part of the homebrewer, but it doesn't cost a dime and makes JUST as excellent beer as HLT/MLT. I just batch sparge in a separate vessel, and if I'm careful, I can mash up to an 19lb grain bill in my teensy 30qt pot, and that's not even a super thick mash (1.25qt/lb). With a fatty kettle and burner like you have, you could do barleywines BIAB, which is an enviable thing indeed. I wonder if they make bags that strong? No doubt somebody does.

Good call - it's always best (and cheaper) to start with a tested, versitile piece of equipment. My cooler has worked well for me.

Back