Looking to start a big batch of cider few questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68nova200

Reaction score
My main question is, Can i use the 5 gallon pails from home depot or do i need to get a food quality bucket?

I also plan on using a recipe on here but not sure which yet. When i bottle it do i have to pasturize or can i just leave in the fridge to keep the yeast down?

Thanks

The bucket has to be food grade. I personally use a 5 gl glass carboy because it's in there a good 6 weeks or so. The 5 gl is perfect because it doesn't need any headspace during fermentation

Once its bottled I cellar it then fridge for a few days before drinking. No pasteurizing.

What's your recipe? Bottled juice or are you crushing?

I am going to get some unpasturized stuff from a local store. i will order a few food grade buckets from midwest. I have three packs of yeast that i want to use. I am going to try to get a high abv drink also.

Sounds good. I've been using edworts apfelwein recipe with a couple of changes. I use a 100% mcintosh apple juice and the white labs champagne yeast. Wlp751 I think it is.
I use the 2 pounds of dextrose to bump it up in strength but the Mcintosh apples have less sugar than some other juices so my abv ends up about 7%. Tastes great though. I've been drinking it 2 weeks after bottling and its incredibly good. Not hoochy at all like some people get. I wash the yeast cake too so I get about 8 batches from a vial which brings the cost right down.

Back