Looking to get started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

draastik

Reaction score
I recently started enjoying Craft beers. I also tasted my buddies IPA home brew, which inspired me to try home brewing.

I can understand the sanitation and everything about BEFORE brewing. But terminology is what kills me. Strike temp? Pitching? (I think I understand that one). The others I can understand the concept, but I just want to know exactly where to start, where I should look. etc.

Questions:

1. What do I need to start brewing? Recommend a website where I can get a starter kit for a good price?

2. Should I start with a kit?

3. How do I become patient with the fermentation process?

4. How long does it take to do the initial brew before fermentation? Does it depend on the instructions?

I obviously don't want to bite off more than I can chew here, so any help/tips are appreciated.

I recently started enjoying Craft beers. I also tasted my buddies IPA home brew, which inspired me to try home brewing.

I can understand the sanitation and everything about BEFORE brewing. But terminology is what kills me. Strike temp? Pitching? (I think I understand that one). The others I can understand the concept, but I just want to know exactly where to start, where I should look. etc.

Questions:

1. What do I need to start brewing? Recommend a website where I can get a starter kit for a good price?

2. Should I start with a kit?

3. How do I become patient with the fermentation process?

4. How long does it take to do the initial brew before fermentation? Does it depend on the instructions?

I obviously don't want to bite off more than I can chew here, so any help/tips are appreciated.

Ill try to answer, even though Im a noob too...

1. Starter kits can be found in a lot of places but here is a good place to start - http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits

2. I would. It's easier and will get you started and up and running. If you start with grains, etc you may become overwhelmed. Get your feet wet before diving in headfirst.

3. Good question. You dont "become" patient...either you are or you aren't. You have to MAKE yourself be patient. Im not a patient person, but I tried one of my first batches before its time...not good.

4.The intital brew can last as long as 30 minutes (mr beer kit) or as long as 90 minutes...it all depends on the recipe and instructions.

I will say this...this hobby is HIGHLY addictive! I started with a Mr. Beer kit about a month ago. Fell in love with the process and have now got two batches fermenting and have moved up from the Mr. beer kit to 5 gallon buckets. I am also thinking seriously about starting AG (All Grain) and kegging pretty soon. Ill do this for the rest of my life. I like brewing and creating it almost more than I like drinking it.

Good luck to ya, and welcome to your new obsession!

There are some great videos on the northern brewer website. They will help to explain the basics. A starter kit is going to make sure you get (almost) everything you need. I remember when I first started brewing I just brewed a new beer or planned something new beer related for the first weeks until it was time to bottle. Just dive in and start boiling sugar and adding yeast. Welcome to a life long addiction my friend. We are happy to have you.

Welcome to the best hobby ever!

I think GeorgiaTiger gave you some pretty good advice.

Im no expert, but I've now got double digit batches under my belt.
So I'm learning!

For starter kit's, like I mentioned, GeorgiaTiger's got a good link.
Though, When I started, I didn't want to use a pail, so I bought
a glass carboy in lieu of a pail.
A 6.5 Gallon glass carboy is a great primary fermenter.

Start with a kit for sure. You might not get the best beer, but
you will get the process down. Maybe do 2 or 3 kits so you get
it down good. My first kit ended up drinkable, but not really that
great. BUT I got the process down. I moved on to extract recipes...
buying ingredients separately and have made some really good
beers that tend to 'dissapear' pretty quick!

I'd recommend being meticulous when brewing. I usually spend a
good half day for brewing. Most of my time is waiting for my old
stove to heat water to boiing, but I'm also pretty careful with sanitation,
temperature control, cooling, etc.. It's all worth it.

Patience? Hah! I've found out that's THE hardest part. Spend 4 or 5 hours brewing, then wait for 3 weeks. Right!

My best advice is to buy some good craft brew and pretend you're drinking what you made!

Seriously don't get discouraged if you taste your beer before bottling and it's not good, or if you've bottled and you try one after a week and it's not good... Time makes beer good.

Good luck if you venture on!!:mug:

Back