Looking to get Started, Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramrod

Reaction score
I've been reading a book by John J Plamer called How to Brew and am ready to get started..... Looked at a kit on-line would like to know your thoughts on the kit being offered. Would love some advice and comments, opinions.

Here's the kit...being offered.

7.5 gallon Primary fermentor, 5 Gallon Glass carboy, 2 Fermentation locks and 1 stopper, auto syphon and tubing, hydrometer, thermometer, bottle and carboy-brush, sanitizer, capper, caps, carboy handle, straining bag, excellent Book. Malt, hops, grains, yeast, water salts, priming sugar, Malt of your choice light, dark or amber.. Additonal items recommended, but not included: Large stainless or enamel pot, 2 cases of 12 oz bottles

All of this for 129.00 not including shipping. What do you think? I can't seem to find a home brew store in the Sarasota area. Thanks for any advice.

Looks like a good kit, very similar to what I got. The only thing I would change if I could would be to have gotten a glass carboy for the primary instead of the bucket it came with. Much cooler to watch what's going on. :)

Looks great. Decent price, too. You'll probably end up getting anotehr glass carboy at some point so you can have more than one batch going at the same time. Have fun.

Looks pretty inclusive to me, the only I think I didn't see (and I may just have missed it) is a bottle filler - comes in real handy.

Be careful, brewing can become something of an obsession and before you know it your whole house is full of equipment.

Here's where the opinions come pouring in. I actually prefer Better Bottles for both primary (6 gallon) and secondary (5 gallon). They're about the same price as glass carboys but are overall easier to work with due to their reduced weight. Safer also.

Sounds complete enough to get your first batch under your belt. (Split meaning)

The bottle filler is a good idea. I did my first kit batch (10 years ago) without one and while I was able to fill bottles using a hose and hose clamp, the bottle filler was like getting automatic transmission. For the $7 or $8 bucks, they'll make your life easier.

Order the kit. Brew your brew and post your questions here. If you can, get some pics to share.

We're like a bunch of surrogate grandparents around here and every new delivery is...well...sort of.......

Oh crap, I'm getting emotional again...

Good luck. :mug:

Thanks all for the posts and advice. I have written that company asking if I can trade the book for a bottle filler, since I already have a great book. They haven't written yet. In the book I'm reading (How to Brew) the guy says that a bucket with a filler nozzle is like gold to a brewer.

Back