Looking to get into Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medevac_Chief

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new at brewing but have been seriously looking into starting to keg my beer instead of bottles. So I was wondering if I could run all my beer on a Nirto system so that I dont have to buy 1 system for my IPA's, and other Ales, and the Nitro system for just the Stout.
Thanks

I don't know what a "Nirto system" is but if your question is about running different pressures to different kinds of beer, that can be accomplished by a gas manifold with a separate output pressure for each split-off. (I've seen as many as 8 of these linked together.... seems like LOTS of risk for slow leaks, but once it is all solid, shouldn't have problems.)

Well arent stouts normally poured useing a nitro system instead of normal CO2, that have a diffent tap? I guess I should of been a bit more clear on my actual question. Can I run other styles of beer on the same system that I would a stout

They use something called "beer gas" which is a mixture of nitrogen and co2. Think you can buy this stuff from your gas supplier. It would be worth checking out. I think this would be fine to use on any beer. Not sure how much it costs though may be expensive.

There are a few commercial stouts that have the nitrogen added to the gas mixture in order to give it a smoother texture but those are an exception, not the rule. Never seen a homebrewer doing it. I would just get a normal kegging system and look into nitrogen down the line if you decide to become some sort of stout aficionado.

Ah ha. From Wikipedia:

Nitrogen is used under high pressure when dispensing dry stouts (such as Guinness) and other creamy beers because it displaces CO2 to (artificially) form a rich tight head and a less carbonated taste. This makes the beer feel smooth on the palate and gives a foamy appearance. Premixed bottled gas for creamy beers is usually 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. This premixed gas which only works well with creamy beers is often referred to as Guinness Gas, Beer Gas, or Aligal. Using "Beer Gas" with other beer styles can cause the last 5% to 10% of the beer in each keg to taste very flat and lifeless.

Back