Looking to Buy an All Grain Set

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mer924

Reaction score
Hello all

I am looking to buy a hot liquor tank and a mash tun. I would love to be able to build my own, but I work a ton of hours so my time is limited to just brewing! I have seen nice set ups at Midwest (Igloo coolers) but I havent been able to find any reviews also shiping costs are high there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I know what you mean about time. That being said I will not answer your question and say that it took me an hour to make a tun and HLT. Its by far cheaper to do it yourself. Coolers are usually on sale from time to time at Home Depot and all or most of the fittings are there as well. There are many ways to make one just search this forum to get ideas.
On that same note to save time brewing you could also "batch sparge". This is what I do. Its quicker most of the time and you only have to use, and make, or buy one vessel. The beer is good and many people get good eff.
Otherwise I like to buy things for brewing through northern brewer. The shipping is fair for the most part. And the service I've gotten from them was great.
Also welcome to the forum!!!! Hopefully we can help you better your brewing experience and pick up a pointer from you as well. I hope I helped a little. Take care!!!

Hello all

I am looking to buy a hot liquor tank and a mash tun. I would love to be able to build my own, but I work a ton of hours so my time is limited to just brewing! I have seen nice set ups at Midwest (Igloo coolers) but I havent been able to find any reviews also shiping costs are high there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm stuck in the kitchen for brewing, but that's not so bad (I have a Wolf stove that can boil 7 gallons). I decided to get an electric turkey fryer for a HLT; it cost about $100 from amazon.com. It holds about six gallons or so... enough for strike, and it's fast enough to heat the sparge water in the hour that I'm mashing.

I had a 10 gallon Rubbermaid already (planned on this over 10 years ago, finally got around to it :rolleyes:), so I just bought a false bottom and a kewler kitz valve/bulkhead fitting. This serves very well as my MLT. I know that my local Home Depot carries the 10 gallon coolers for about $40.

I think it is still cheaper to do it this way, and not too time intensive vs. buying a "turnkey" system...

-John

I recommend the Brewmation. Nothing like a three sink all electric set up. ;)

Just kidding. You can try brewd00d. I know some people who have gotten their tuns from him and have been very pleased.

I can't point to a purchasable MLT, but you know that you can buy a sipgot kit from Northern brewer, and possibly others? That might make it easy enough to consider building yourself.

With manifold and trial and error, mine took a couple of hours, but I spent a lot of time on that manifold and drilling out some SS washers on a lathe to fit the valve hardware.

There has to be someone out there with stuff for sale. Maybe ask in the classified section if you haven't already. I bet someone could build a manifold, etc. or whole set up right in there.

Latest posts

Back