Looking to Build a Wort Chiller - Advice on where to get tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ByramMike

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a wort chiller on a budget... I need about 30' of refridgerator tubing to get the unit built. I've read about a bit and I read that tubing is inexpensive... went to Lowes' last night and, well, it's not inexpensive. They had the pre-cut tubing that is pre-cut (5', 10', 20', 50'), with the 50' length at $80 plus. It seems cheaper to buy one from NB!

So... I'm looking for suggestions on where I can get 30' of 1/4" od tubing for in the neighborhood of $25 - $30... if it's possible.

Thoughts?

:mug:

SoonerDoc

Reaction score
Copper is very expensive these days. Not sure you can find it cheap anywhere besides your neighbor's air conditioner. :)

IffyG

Reaction score
You really won't save much money vs buying one with copper prices as high as they are. I ended up making my own prechiller and ended up just a few dollars less than had I purchased on from Rebel Brewer...

birvine

Reaction score
Try calling around to different stores. I found that one charged by the foot and the other by the roll. The former was WAY more costly.

You're right that ordering might be cheaper - makes no sense does it?

B

OP
ByramMike

ByramMike

Reaction score
I think I knew what the answer was going to be, though stainless is an option I hadn't looked at. I know copper prices are up, but I was hoping... I've been brewing since May and I want to build SOMETHING to add to my ever growing equipment inventory.

Ah well... I may bite the bullet and buy one... I'll build my mash tun when the time comes (and it's coming soon, I can feel it).

ozzy1038

Reaction score
Roll's at Menards are about $30-35. You want the soft stuff. Not the thick hard copper. I used 1/2" ID to make mine. From what I have read 3/8" is a little more efficient. I am happy with it though. I have thought about building a closed chilling system using a bilge pump and recirculating heavily iced water. It should be more efficient and more economical. Although I use the water now that comes out of my IC to water the garden and bushes so it isn't being wasted so to speak.

ozzy1038

Reaction score
I just barely missed a copper one on CL recently for $10.00. Even though I already have one there is no way one could pass it up for that price.

OP
ByramMike

ByramMike

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses... time to have a beer (my last bottle from my first batch) and cheer the Yankees on...

Cheers!!