Looking for the right Kombucha heater...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob M Brown

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good kombucha heater. I ordered two from Amazon. They sort of work. They have temperature settings from low to high. The heater does not "know" how warm the vessel is. You have to watch a temp sticker on the vessel to make sure you have the heater setting close enough. This means that if the house is warmer then your kombucha is warmer and vice versa.

I want a komnucha heater which can measure the temperature of the vessel and heat or not accordingly. I have had fish aquarium heaters like this. For the aquarium heater there was a temperature probe in the water. I know this is not ideal with kombucha, but the temp sensor should be able to measure the temperature of the vessel through conduction with the outside surface of the vessel, just like the temp sticker does.

Is there such a thing?

I recommend the Inkbird 308 for heating control.

For the heating device I use a FermWrap, but you can probably use whatever you have already.

Insulate the probe against the fermenter with foam or a sponge or a folded up t-shirt.
IMG_20190812_161924.jpg

Last edited:
I mostly make beer, but also cider, mead, and wine.
The batch in the photo is a beer with kveik fermenting at 92°F.

The Inkbird can also control cooling, for which I use a refrigerator.

Happy brewing, and welcome to HBT :)

Inkbird plus a heating pad for a bad back on amazon. Get one that is waterproof and doesnt auto shut off. They are like $30. Will outlast any other homebrew heating pad. Plus you can use it on your back as needed. Get a thermowell and use it to regulate the liquid temperature. Works like a charm.

Latest posts

Back