Looking for that onion/garlic flavor..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo26

Reaction score
From research, I suspect it's the Summit hops that produce this flavor... I'm thinking of doing a galaxy hop forward IPA with a tinge of the onion flavor... Oskar Blues "Blue IPA" to me is the closest thing to my goal, but I want to ramp up the onion flavor just a bit without taking over.. More resinous pine would also work.. Anyone have experience with this and could point me in the right direction, all grain? Thanks in advance.. Cheers!

You want that flavor??? Summit is the classic offender in late additions, as is chinook to a lesser extent. Some harvests are worse than others. Letting the hops oxidize by poor storage can also increase the flavor. Maybe someone with more IPA love can chime in, but if you smell the hops and they smell like garlic, then im usually afraid.

I would look into summit hops, and the previous years harvest of apollo and galaxy

Columbus as well. More so than Chinook. Like others said, Apollo and Summit are big with those flavored. I like that flavor, too, blended with others. Mosaic can get that edge sometimes, but only on the periphery.

I don't get it from apollo. But totally from summit. Columbus gets earthy/dank and that can support that savory flavor you want. Just single hop summit with neutral bittering like magnum or co2 extract.

Thanks for the responses.. Yeah, I like that flavor when it's not overwhelming.. I get it slightly in Oskar Blues "Blue IPA" and a little more in the Deviant. I wouldn't want much more than what Deviant offers, but a little more than the Blue. I guess I'll just have to split some batches and try Summit late additions at different amounts.. Thanks

Yum, moldy onion flavor. To each his own, but no thanks.

I tried accumulation from new belgium a few weeks back and that gave off ALL ONION / GARLIC... in quite a powerful fashion. I'm not a fan of that profile and couldn't really choke down a full 12oz bottle :(

Their site suggests Nugget, Centennial with Mosiac Amarillo in the dry hop.

With their powers combined.. you are captain garlic.

Green Flash's "Imperial" uses nugget and summit and I get a lot of dank and that onion flavor. The few times I drank it.

I just don't get that onion/garlic flavour from hops. I guess I am lucky!

:)

I bottled an IPA this pass weekend and for the first time achieved this type of flavor. My hop combination was comet/mosaic/Apollo. Mosaic was the dominate hop and this flavor was not intended or expected. I can post the recipe when I am at home and have my notes. I would describe it as piney/onion/garlic/grapefruit. I have used these hops in many IPA's just not in this combination. I found it pretty tasty and can't wait until it carbs up.

I got no tropical or grapefruit flavors, but it was mildly there in the aroma from New Belgian accumulation. It was tasted like a savage onion. Then again, i'm not a big fan of their beers aside from the sour collection.

So my hop schedule was...

21g Apollo 60mins
14g Comet 10mins
21g Apollo 10mins
28g Mosaic 10mins

Steep at 170 for 45mins, I lower temp to 170 add hops and naturally let it cool for 45mins. then cool all the way.
14g Comet
42g Mosaic
14g Apollo

Dry Hop
28g Comet
42g Mosaic
56g Citra

11lbs Pilsner
1lbs Flaked wheat
8oz. Crystal 20
12oz. Honey Malt
1oz. Acid Malt

Came to about 87 IBUS. OG 1.061. Mash 151, ph 5.4, 60mins.
I used Kal's Electric Pale Ale water profile.

Yeast was Vermont IPA.

Back