Looking for some reassurance...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid-A

Reaction score
Noob here, working on my first batch of beer. It's an Amber Ale from Midwest. I was worried because the airlock bubbled very little in the beginning, and then stopped altogether, so I took the lid off today to take a look.

It's been 4 days, and this is what it looks like. I think it looks OK, just looking for some reassurance. The gravity was about 1.020, and it started at 1.052.

IMG_1092 (1).jpg

You had a 32 point drop in 4 days, id say that things are fermenting along quite nicely! The airlock bubbling issue sounds like a lid sealing issue or an airlock gasket/oring sealing issue. Put that lid back on and keep it on w/o peeking for at least another week (or 2!)

Looks fine, you had a krausen about 2 inches deep at some point, as can be evidenced by the hop debris sticking to the side of the fermenter.

looks like fermented beer, that stuff on top is just leftovers from fermentation. doesn't look infected, you had healthy fermentation.

bottle, drink.

Put that lid back on and keep it on w/o peeking for at least another week (or 2!)

Exactly.

It's hard to not peek, but doing so increases your risk of contamination and can cause you to lose that wonderfully protective layer of CO2 than was between your lid and your beer.

Ok thanks! I was pretty sure it was ok after seeing it but this is all new to me so it's nice to have some reassurance. I won't be taking the lid off again for at least another week.

Back