Looking for some IPA advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter679

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something that would be consumed about Labor day weekend, we have an annual Crabfest and I want to brew a nice overly hoppy IPA. I'm addicted...let me say that again ADDICTED to IPA's, pretty much all I drink but my friends are not much more than a Sam Adams type fan.

I'd like to brew something hoppy but not overly hoppy but still have a decent abv. I'm starting with Coopers Light Malt 6.6lbs and trying to decide on some good hops and grains if needed. I haven't brewed in 4 years so this should be interesting.

Thanks this is my 1st post and I expect to be posting more..

-Pete

Check out the recipe section for some ideas to get started.

And you are going to have to make up your mind..........

I want to brew a nice overly hoppy IPA.

I'd like to brew something hoppy but not overly hoppy.......
-Pete

I would just suggest that you try and find out what hops are used in your favorite commericial IPA's build it from there. for Grains you could probably steep a little bit of Crystal malt to bring some color and flavor, but I wouldn't do much more beyond that.:mug:

Check out Yooper's DFH 60 Minute Clone. I've made it several times and really enjoy it. The most recent time, I cut the DME back to 6 lbs to make it more sessionable and it turned out great as always.

Finding out what hop profiles you like will really help you make your own decision as hops that might make us all warm and fuzzy might not do the same for you. Find a good site that lists hops and their profiles, from that you can form a list of what you would like. Not a complete list but http://www.brew365.com/ has a hops tab that shows a graph to indicate the hop profile. I am visual so I appreciate the visual rather than a word dump.

Back