Looking for recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
So, I'm working on a double IPA. It's been 2 weeks since I brewed and the beer is done. Yesterday I dumped in 3oz whole hops in the primary and planned on dry hopping for 7-10 days. Well, it warmed up quickly and all of a sudden, I find myself with an 80 degree room. I've been keeping my brew in the mid 60s with an ice bath over the weekend, but I'm leaving Wednesday for 5 days.

My question, should I bottle after dry hopping for 4 and a half days or wait till I return next weekend and bottle then? I'll be able to control temps if I bottle Wednesday, but all bets are off after that. Even with a swamp cooler, I fully expect my beer to be in the 73-80 degree range if I wait to bottle. At the same time, I hit my FG so I'm not sure if the beer would develop any off flavors now that they yeast are mostly done doing their thing. In fact, I'm thinking warmer temps might allow the hops to impart more flavor and aroma.

Thoughts?

You can dry hop for 7-14 days no problem. Taste your beer and see if you like it before you leave and then make a decision then. I have dry hopped for 14 days with no ill effects. Could run into grassy flavors

Do you have them bagged or are the floating?

Sorry, missed the temp part. 80 degrees might be too warm or you could get some intense stuff going on!

floating. Initially I wanted to hop it for 7-10 days, but with the warmer weather, I was wondering if I should bump it up to 4 days as I'll have no temp control after that.

You are fine. Temp control is required while the yeast are working. Raising the temp after fermentation actually helps.

Might think about moving to kegs. When you start carbing, just throw it in there and forget about it! I have never experienced grassy flavors and the flavors come out nice. My kegs go quick, but 2 months with hops and no problem.

Is that a general rule or just when dry hopping?

Just wanted to chime in with two things:

1) Indeed, increasing the temp at the end of fermentation will ensure that the yeast will stay active and fully ferment the beer and "clean up" their by-products. 80°F though is quite high and can lead to increased oxidation and more rapid beer staling.

2) Dry hopping is impacted by temperature. I don't really know the details, but some brewers like to dry hop warm (though, again, 80°F is extreme) while others like to dry hop cold. You'll extract different amounts of different compounds at different temps.

All in all, I wouldn't want my beer to hit 80°F (unless I was using a Belgian yeast and I was intentionally pushing the temp up).

Yeah... I'm sort of torn on this. I might just bottle Wednesday night and be done with it. I might not get the full effect from 3oz dry hops, but at least I know it'll be drinkable in a few weeks.

Back