Looking for recipe to copy Harpoon English Style Old Ale session 17

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouT

Can't wait to go AG...
Reaction score
I picked up a 22 oz bottle of this the other day: Harpoon "100 barrel series" English Style Old Ale, by brewer Frederick M. Hemp. It has ABV of 7.9%, has 62 ibu, and og 20.5 (all printed on the label). The color is a amber/red, and the flavor is quite sweet, surprisingly sweet to me. I enjoyed it and I'm hoping someone might have some idea of how to replicate this and share a recipe. I'm not doing all grain brewing yet, so an extract or maybe partial mash recipe would be awesome -- thanks for the help! -Lou

This is what I'm thinking, would appreciate feedback from more experienced brewers:

5 Lb light or amber DME (suggestions, does it matter?)
1 Lb Wheat DME (for good head)
0.5 lb crystal malt (60 L)
0.75 lb vienna malt
0.75 lb Munich malt
0.25 lb chocolate malt
1 lb brown sugar
1.5 oz fuggles 5%AA, 60 minutes
0.5 oz fuggles hops 15 minutes

White Labs WLP002 English ale or WLP004 Irish Ale or WLP013 London ale (please suggest, not sure which way to go here - need to stay w/White Labs since that's what local HBS stocks).

Add crushed specialty malts to 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water in brewpot, heat water to about 170 ¡F (77 ¡C) and strain off malts. Add water to the grain tea to make about 3 gallons (11.4 L) and bring this liquid to a boil. Once it begins boiling, turn off the heat and add the malt extracts and brown sugar, stirring well to ensure the extracts dissolve properly. Bring the wort to a boil and add the bittering hops. Boil for one hour, with flavor hops added for the last 15 minutes. Strain, or siphon, the wort off from the hops and add cold water sufficient to obtain the starting gravity of 1.070. Cool the wort to around 70 F (21 C), pitch with yeast starter and allow to ferment. After 5-7 days of fermerntation, the final gravity should have been reached. At this point, rack into a glass fermenter.

OK - so, do I need crystal AND vienna AND munich to get the sweetness I'm looking for?
Anyone able to run this on promash or beertools or something to let me know if I'm way off base for the style?
Thanks for help!

If anyone attended the extreme beer fest in boston a few weekends back, I guess this brewmaster - Fred Hemp - was one of the guest speakers. I'd love some feedback if anyone went and/or heard him speak of this brew (they were serving it at the fest).

Back