Illinois Looking for other homebrewers in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdstrobe

Reaction score
Hello HomebrewTalk!!

I just started back up again doing some homebrew in the Chicago area and would love to connect with others in the same area! I'm posting because I'm interested in learning about how others have been using homebrewing techniques and if any have taken to hop farming in the city.

Let's get a homebrewing group together to sample and talk strategy! I have a few going right now.

Thoughts!?

Hi MD. There are a lot of homebrew clubs in the Chicago-area, including quite a few in the city. I'm a member of one, CHAOS, but there are others, if you want to plug into one that is already going.

Hello HomebrewTalk!!

I just started back up again doing some homebrew in the Chicago area and would love to connect with others in the same area! I'm posting because I'm interested in learning about how others have been using homebrewing techniques and if any have taken to hop farming in the city.

Let's get a homebrewing group together to sample and talk strategy! I have a few going right now.

Thoughts!?

When I read this, I immediately thought of CHAOS! And then Pappers posted to tell you about it. It's a great active club, with lots of activities and education.

I don't live anywhere near the city, but if I did I'd be a part of CHAOS (if they'd have me...........). It's really a one-of-a-kind club. https://www.chaosbrewclub.net/

I am moving to the Lincolnshire area in the next few months. THere is a club in Libertyville if your in the north burbs.. i was going to check them out once i moved. If you happen to be in the north burbs let me know what you find out as far as clubs and lhbs go

Hello mdstrobe,

There are a lot of great homebrew clubs in the area. I belong to Homebrewers Pride of the Southside (HOPS!). We usually meet every third Tuesday in the Bridgeport neighborhood of CHicago. If you'd like more info, check out the link to our site in my sig, or dm me.

See you around.
Brian

Hello HomebrewTalk!!

Thoughts!?

I am moving to the Lincolnshire area in the next few months. THere is a club in Libertyville if your in the north burbs.. i was going to check them out once i moved. If you happen to be in the north burbs let me know what you find out as far as clubs and lhbs go

Also Evanston Homebrew Club. We meet every third Thursday at one of a couple of local friendly establishments.

If you are in the northwest suburbs, Club Wort meets in Palatine on the second Tuesday of each month - next meeting is May 9. One of the members has like 17+ awards this year alone.

I am just getting started - just bottled my third batch and am upgrading to a keggle system. I have had decent luck with my cascade hops - 12oz of dried cones last year (and my home-grown Casacade SMaSH is bottle conditioning now). I am hoping for a lot more this year since I have more time to pay attention to them early in the season. I should have some extra rhizomes if you want to plant your own.

Send me a message if you are interested. I live in the northwest suburbs, Arlington Heights area.

If you are in the northwest suburbs, Club Wort meets in Palatine on the second Tuesday of each month - next meeting is May 9. One of the members has like 17+ awards this year alone.

I am just getting started - just bottled my third batch and am upgrading to a keggle system. I have had decent luck with my cascade hops - 12oz of dried cones last year (and my home-grown Casacade SMaSH is bottle conditioning now). I am hoping for a lot more this year since I have more time to pay attention to them early in the season. I should have some extra rhizomes if you want to plant your own.

Send me a message if you are interested. I live in the northwest suburbs, Arlington Heights area.

Im from barrington and have heard of this club. So you are a member? Im guessing you recommend the club then? Looking to meet more local brewers s well.

Im from barrington and have heard of this club. So you are a member? Im guessing you recommend the club then? Looking to meet more local brewers s well.

Yeah, Club Wort is cool. We meet the second Tuesday of each month at Tap House Grill in Palatine. Visitors/guests are always welcome. At the last meeting we had 12 or 14 homebrews, of all styles. We also do group brews with club equipment, do 1-2 pub crawls a year, and a couple of larger parties.

If you are in the northern suburbs, BABBLE is one of the oldest homebew clubs in the Chicago area. We cover lake county primarily but have members as far south as New Lennox. Our BJCP competetion, BREWOFF! is coming march 3rd. We meet at Perfect Brewing in libertyville on the 4th Thursday every month at 7:30, and we also pour homebrew at virtually all local beerfests so we have a pretty high public profile. Members of BABBLE have gone on to found or brew at quite a few of the local breweries and we still maintain close relationships with many including Tighthead, Lucky Monk and now Buffalo Creek in Long Grove, founded by BABBLE member Mike Marr

babblehomebrewers.com

It was my understanding that BABBLE doesn’t accept newer brewers? Am I incorrect?
Can i ask where you got that idea? Seriously thats a very specific thought and couldn't be further from reality so Im curious where it came from. We welcome everyone no matter what level. There are two brew clubs in the area and while its true if you were to compare the experience level between them, BABBLE probably has more seasoned elder statesmen as the club itself is 19 years old. That said we welcome everyone regardless of experience. Weve even invited local beer enthusiast groups to join our meetings even though they have no interest in brewing. Please, come by the next meeting and say hi and see for yourself. The next meeting will be Thursday Feb 22, and we will be serving homebrew at the Lake County Beer Festival that following Saturday, so come by and say hello there.

I actually think it was from a BABBLE sign I saw at Perfect brewing supply.? Might have been something from your website? (But really don’t think that is the case..?)
I started brewing about 6 months ago and searched out clubs shortly after. It was between BABBLE, NUBS and Midnight Carboys in crystal lake. I counted BABBLE out right away because I didn’t think I was qualified. I haven’t been able to make anyones meeting yet. I apologize if I was incorrect with my assumptions.

You should go to a meeting for each and see what how you feel. I can tell you NUBS does a LOT more group brews on a large system Perfect has on site. BABBLE members mostly have pretty well established brew systems and our group projects have typically been brewing beers at home and barrel aging them together in club bought barrels, on brewing on Big Brew day. Our meetings generally consist of brewing discussions and club business until around 10 where many in the club move to Firkin in Libertyville and widen the scope to anything and everything.

Thanks, yeah I’m open to doing that. Midnight carboys meeting is a little closer, but I really value a meeting at my LHBS. Does BABBLE do a beer share at Perfect brewing? I would love feedback on how I can improve my cider and beer.

Thanks, yeah I’m open to doing that. Midnight carboys meeting is a little closer, but I really value a meeting at my LHBS. Does BABBLE do a beer share at Perfect brewing? I would love feedback on how I can improve my cider and beer.
Every meeting is a beer share! In general we have 15 or more home brews each meeting. If someone doesnt have anything new to bring, most of us will bring something from our "cellar" that others might not have tried. A few of the more prolific and/or scientific bring in experiments where they have dry hopped the same beer with different hops, or used different temperature schedules. We have a few members that only brew every other month but bring in examples of some of their more unusual beer each month for a year or more to see how pronounced flavors are aging and changing. One member made a Gruit last year and brings a bottle each meeting. The change in in how things like Wormwood are mellowing while Rosemary are becoming more pronounced is pretty interesting.

Restarting this thread if anyone is out there.
From what I see, I'd agree that chaos seems to be the biggest one to go to that can offer lots of advantages that other clubs can't provide but....
Are there any clubs that meet on let's say a Saturday when I'd actually be able to go to meetings? I work long hours during the week and there is no possibility of ever going to a Tuesday or Thursday meeting which seems to be everyone's standard..
I'm free on Saturday evenings usually... That's it...

Restarting this thread if anyone is out there.
From what I see, I'd agree that chaos seems to be the biggest one to go to that can offer lots of advantages that other clubs can't provide but....
Are there any clubs that meet on let's say a Saturday when I'd actually be able to go to meetings? I work long hours during the week and there is no possibility of ever going to a Tuesday or Thursday meeting which seems to be everyone's standard..
I'm free on Saturday evenings usually... That's it...

Wingnut Brew Club meets on the third Saturday of every month starting at around 11am. We will not have a regular scheduled meeting in September because we will be serving at the Brew at the Bridge beer festival in Oswego. It's a great event that you should try to get to if you can.

We brew as a club at every meeting. Everyone brings some beer to share (homebrew if you have any) and something to to put out on the food table.

Meetings move around a bit, but are typically in South Elgin, St. Charles, or Elburn, so it's definitely western suburbs.

I'm interested... It's a bit far but I can deal with that I think, but how late do the mettings run? I'm still usually on the road at 11am...

I'm interested... It's a bit far but I can deal with that I think, but how late do the mettings run? I'm still usually on the road at 11am...

I usually leave about 4pm and there's still people there. We're not stringent on everyone being there at 11, so people kind of come and go when the schedule allows.

I usually leave about 4pm and there's still people there. We're not stringent on everyone being there at 11, so people kind of come and go when the schedule allows.
If my work schedule changes I'll try to come by but I live near midway and usually work till 2 or 3 usually. . Thanks for the invite either way

Trying again...on the aha website it seems most of the listed clubs are dead, or at least their websites are.
Are there any homebrew clubs that meet on Saturdays in the late afternoon or evenings? I know it's probably an impossibility as it's easy to get together but hard to find a place. If you know a club that meets on Saturday late (even if you aren't a member) please let me know.

Trying again...on the aha website it seems most of the listed clubs are dead, or at least their websites are.
Are there any homebrew clubs that meet on Saturdays in the late afternoon or evenings? I know it's probably an impossibility as it's easy to get together but hard to find a place. If you know a club that meets on Saturday late (even if you aren't a member) please let me know.
And if not.... Does anyone want to start a new club for those of us who can't meet during the week?

Back