Looking for most economical solution to summer brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole_hops

Reaction score
I dont want to put my new hobby/obsession on hold during the warm weather months. What is the most economical and space conscious way to continue brewing this summer? I dont have the room for another full sized freezer. I have had a hard time finding a mini fridge that is large enough for my fermenter.

I ferment in Igloo coolers with self-made styrofoam lids, which don't take up much space and double as picnic coolers for trips to the beach, etc.

I got the idea from here: (OFFLINE) Board Offline

Here's my solution:

4189-DSCF0002.JPG

That's one of those "5 day" coolers. I made a new lid out of three layers of styrofoam sheeting, and fill it 3/4 full of water. I add frozen water bottles to the water as needed, to keep the fermenter under 70 degrees. I have a floating thermometer in the water, so I can easily see the temperature when I check it. I keep about 4 water bottles in the freezer, and rotate them as needed. This also keeps the temperature stable at this time of year, when it's warm during the day, but cold at night. It takes a long time for the 5 gallons of beer and the 5 gallons (or so) of water to change temperature!

Now, I don't live in the south, so you may find that you have to give it some more attention like adding more frozen water bottles. But it works ok, and it was supercheap. The cooler was on sale for $20, and I kept the original lid so I can even use it as a cooler when I need to!

There are lots more pictures in my gallery, showing the handles, and the set up.

^ I do the same thing and use ice packs/ frozen water bottles. You end up swapping them out 2-3 times per day.

Mine is a bit more permanent, but it uses a mini fridge to cool a chamber large enough for 3-4 carboys. You could also build a simple collar on a mini fridge so that it would fit one carboy at a time. I did that for a while as well.

Current setup:
DSCF0086.JPG

Single carboy chamber:
DSCF0026.JPG

I have a Sanyo fridge that has no freezer and the shelves knocked out of it. I am thinking it is the discontinued one that people used for kegerators, but it fits a snog 6.5 gallon carboy no problem.

Of course, now I have a chest freezer too, so I'm thinking the fridge will just be for more beer.

I guess I'm fortunate that I have a basement. It stays about 64F all summer, perfect for fermenting most ales.

Back