Looking for milk stout recipes- please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a milk stout with some older grains and US-05. I tried a small sample from some leftovers that was remaining in the lines on the way to the carboy. Tasted rather roasted and I probably mute that at some point in future batches. Below is what I used. What do you use or what would you do differently? Thank you.

9lbs Maris Otter
8.5lbs Carafa III
1.2 lbs Chocolate rye
.5 lbs Pale Chocolate

1lb lactose
Saaz
East Kent

I recently brewed up a milk stout with some older grains and US-05. I tried a small sample from some leftovers that was remaining in the lines on the way to the carboy. Tasted rather roasted and I probably mute that at some point in future batches. Below is what I used. What do you use or what would you do differently? Thank you.

9lbs Maris Otter
8.5lbs Carafa III
1.2 lbs Chocolate rye
.5 lbs Pale Chocolate

1lb lactose
Saaz
East Kent

I would drop the Carafe III and up the base malt and up the roasted malts that you have by a bit or add some roasted barley, no more than a pound or so.

I already thought it tasted a bit too roasted. Does it mellow with fermentation or through the aging process?

This is a fantastic stout. I also soak 4oz cocoa nibs and 4 vanilla beans in Bourbon, vodka or Rum for a few weeks then add before kegging .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210401-053312_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20210401-053312_Grainfather.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 17
Tasted rather roasted and I probably mute that at some point in future batches. Below is what I used.

9lbs Maris Otter
8.5lbs Carafa III
1.2 lbs Chocolate rye
.5 lbs Pale Chocolate

1lb lactose
Saaz
East Kent
8.5 lbs of Carafa III? I suspect that should have been 8.5 oz.

Back