Looking for Meade recipies/recommendations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lspr_mtu

Reaction score
Hey all,
My Dad has a couple hives in SE Michigan and wants me to make a batch of Meade that we can split. He gave me about a gallon of honey, so now I need to figure out what I want to do.

For wines, we both defintely prefer full-bodied dry reds for the most part (zinfandels, syrahs, shiraz, etc.), but also enjoy some dry or semi-dry whites (mostly chardonnay). We are Germans, so we also have the obligatory guwertztraminer every once in a while. We both like all kinds of beer (except really fruity beers and urine-flavored beers).

Since the honey isn't store-bought, I'd like to do a recipe that allows the natural honey flavors to show through, rather than dress it up with additional flavorings. I'd also like to keep it somewhat dry for our tastes, as long as that doesn't conflict with the above requirement. I don't care whether we go carbonated or not - I suspect that might be a nice touch though for sipping on hot summer days - though I could bottle some with and without.

This will be my first Meade (I've never even drank one before!), but I'm not about to turn down free honey. Any suggestions or recipes you can provide would be great.

First, read the stickies at the top of the page.
Then I would just use the gallon of honey. Mix it with a couple gallons of water until dissolved. Top up with fresh water to 5gal.
Add Nutrients as specified in the Staggered Nutrient Addition FAQ.
Rehydrate a couple packets of Lalvin D-47, preferably with GoFerm and pitch.

Aerate the must once or twice a day for the first 3 days.
After a month in the primary bucket rack to a carboy for bulk aging.
I'd probably add 1-2 oz of oak cubes in the secondary.

After 4months to a year+ you can bottle. If you want sparkling add a little more honey at this time, otherwise you are good to go.

It should result in a dry traditional mead that will allow the honey to come through. This will be most similar to a dry white wine but not to be confused with wine. It is mead. :D

Craig

Back