Looking for line cleaning pump recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 6 tap kegerator and when I daisy chain all the taps together to clean the lines I only get a small trickle at the end faucet.

I have tried a submersible sump pump, a condensate pump and the latest is a little Giant window cooler pump. They all will get the cleaning solution through the lines but just barely. I'm considering filling a keg with cleaning solution and using CO2 to pump the solution but would prefer to use a pump if possible.

Anybody have a recommendation for a type/model pump that will push a decent amount of volume in that situation?

I'm surprised you were able to get anything out of the last tap. I did that with two and it barely came out. It didn't seem to matter what size pump I got the same trickle came out. I'm thinking it has something to do with the resistance from the small diameter beer line. So know I just use a pump one tap at a time. Takes longer but it makes it seem cleaner.

Hopefully someone else can offer a better solution.

^ Absolutely. The faster the cleaner moves the more it scrubs the walls. Hot cleaner works faster and better than cold. You can also let it sit and soak, then recirculate for a while. Repeat that a few times.

That's what I ended up doing. I'm hoping someone has solved the problem and can give me/us a model number that works under these conditions.

I just use one of my Chugger pumps (usually the "hot" side one, the same one I use to recirculate the mash). I've fashioned a length of high-temp silicone tubing with a ball-lock liquid out post on one end. I slip the other end over the "out" barb on my pump, connect the tap's liquid-in ball-lock QD to the post on the other end of the tubing, and place the bucket I use as my grant under the tap. The last length of tubing connects the barb on the drain on my grant to the "in" barb on the pump. I fill the grant/bucket with hot PBW, prime the line, turn on the pump, open the tap and let it recirculate for a while.

Hmm.. that gives me an idea, maybe I should write up a quick article for the front page on this little gimmick.

This may be pricey to do but would would clean all the faucets at the same pressure: Make a manifold that all six taps connect to individually and have one inlet from the pump, so one inlet to six outlets. Each tap would drain back into the reservoir. By using the posts of your kegs on the outlets of the manifold, you can clean all six or even 1 or two without connecting the others up.

Just a thought.

Back