Looking for Lab-grade Hop Analysis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingSparge

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a place where I can have some hops lab tested to determine variety and AA%.

Funny story. My Mother-in-Law overheard me talking to her friend about what hops look like. She interjected thinking there could be some growing in her back yard. It was winter so we couldn't confirm. I presumed she was mistaken. I was wrong. Last September, I harvested 3lbs. Apparently they were planted by the previous owner for medicinal purposes. Now they make a great IPA. Orange-citrusy with moderate grassy aroma.

Anyway, trying to know more about them. Figured lab test would be good idea.

Most lab testers would tell you alpha acids and such, but wouldn't be able to tell you the variety, anyway. Stick with the pictures or give a sample to the most knowledgeable homebrewer you can find and see what they think it is.

I've seen guys that can make a tea out of it and figure it out based on the flavor and bitterness. Its that or they were pulling my leg and I fell for it.

Back