looking for info on Jamils Hop Hammer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddy4xp

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
has anyone brewed Jamils' Hop Hammer (IIPA) from Brewing Classic Styles. Im worried about it finishing too low. His recipe calls a low mash and for adding 2lbs of corn sugar to get the FG down and to make it more drinkable. When i plug the recipe into Berrsmith it shows a FG of 1.009....the recipe calls for 1.013. I have been hitting my FG and Beersmith has been dead on as far as predicting the FG. I did see another thread where someone brewed this up and ended up hitting 1.006 as the FG. Im thinking of eliminating the sugar. I recently brewed an IPA an had it go from 1.078 to 1.013 with no problems. I know he is a well respected brewer and knows a hell of alot more than i do about brewing. Just wanted to get a little feedback and see if anyone has made this beer. Thanks!

Grainbill:
15.25lbs Two Row
.5lb Wheat Malt
.5lb Crystal 40
2lb Corn Sugar

WLP 001 California Ale
Mash at 150

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.013
ADF: 83%

I used this recipe and the Pliney one to build my own IIPA. I did only use 1lbs of sugar and ended up at 1.014. 1.009 or 6 seems really low. I'm surprised BeerSmith is accurate for you in FG readings. It's always high for me. I've done a lot of recipes from that book and I've hit his OG and FG readings pretty damn close. I wouldn't skip the sugar if he's calling for it. But, it's your brew. And what ever road you take to get there...it's still your brew!!

I think i am going to adjust it a little and use one pound of sugar...I figure he has it included in the recipe for a reason.

teddy4xp said:
has anyone brewed Jamils' Hop Hammer (IIPA) from Brewing Classic Styles. Im worried about it finishing too low. His recipe calls a low mash and for adding 2lbs of corn sugar to get the FG down and to make it more drinkable. When i plug the recipe into Berrsmith it shows a FG of 1.009....the recipe calls for 1.013. I have been hitting my FG and Beersmith has been dead on as far as predicting the FG. I did see another thread where someone brewed this up and ended up hitting 1.006 as the FG. Im thinking of eliminating the sugar. I recently brewed an IPA an had it go from 1.078 to 1.013 with no problems. I know he is a well respected brewer and knows a hell of alot more than i do about brewing. Just wanted to get a little feedback and see if anyone has made this beer. Thanks!

Grainbill:
15.25lbs Two Row
.5lb Wheat Malt
.5lb Crystal 40
2lb Corn Sugar

WLP 001 California Ale
Mash at 150

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.013
ADF: 83%

What is your batch size. In the beginning of the book it states that batch sizes for all the recipes is 6 gallons. 5.5 gallons into the fermenter and then 5 into bottles/keg.

Back