Looking for inexpensive grain bins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find inexpensive grain bins?

Ive heard the vittle vaults are great but at almost $50 for a 50lb capacity, thats a little too steep for me.

What is everyone using to store their grains?

I use food-grade plastic buckets with lids from Lowes and they work great! I think they are around $7 including the lid, and a plus is that you can use them for things like holding sanitizer when it's not full of grain.

Food grade buckets with gamma seal lids are about as cheap as it gets, but keep an eye on the #60 vittle vaults because every once in awhile they go on sale. I picked mine up for $23 each and I think I remember them going down as low as $20.

You can get Rubbermaid 10 and 20 gallon ingredient bins/trash bins at restaurant supply stores that are food safe/certified in the twenty dollar range.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will look into buckets and gamma lids.

I live in S Florida, hot & humid. I keep my grain in giant vacuum storage bags that hold over 55lbs grain ( Cheep). I put the bag in a trash can. When I purchase a bag of grain I leave it on my pickup tailgate slit a hole and let it drain into my storage bag. Saves time and labor.
Ed B

Buckets with gamma lids would be your cheapest option. The lids are great because they will keep out bugs/rodents as well as humidity. The downside is that the bucket handles are not well designed to carry that much weight. The metal loop is fine but the plastic will eventually break.

I'd look around craigslist or local fb groups for used vittles vaults as well.

Check Craigslist. These $20 food grade barrels are listed in ATL.

1612903530933.png

1612903603656.png

I am cheap. My solution was 5 gallon food grade buckets from Home Depot along with the inexpensive snap on lids (not Gamma Seal lids). I think the total is around $7 for the pair. One bucket holds around 20 lbs of grain. This was cheap enough for me to justify 6 buckets and 6 lids. Is this solution as air tight as other solutions? I am not sure but 2-year old grain seems fine.

But while I am happy with my direction, I have seen 50 lb Vittles Vaults on sale for prices that are very close to the same price as 2 buckets and lids. The Vittles Vaults look like they would stack much better than my buckets.

Buckets with gamma lids would be your cheapest option. The lids are great because they will keep out bugs/rodents as well as humidity. The downside is that the bucket handles are not well designed to carry that much weight. The metal loop is fine but the plastic will eventually break.

I'd look around craigslist or local fb groups for used vittles vaults as well.
The plastic on the handle will crack eventually, but wrap it with some black electrical tape to give it new life. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back