Looking For Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hops grow from rhizomes, and those are sold in the spring. Only the female hops plants produce the hops flowers (cones) that are used in brewing. Here's a link to a place that sells rhizomes: Freshops Rhizome Varieties

Keep in mind your climate- some hops grow better in different climates. My cascades did very well and my halletau did "ok". Cascades tend to be a high-yield plant, though, while hallertauer is a "low yield". I got about 8 ounces of dried hallertau and 16 ounces (dried) of cascades this year, the second year.

They grow about 25 tall each season, and die back each fall. I had the hallertau grow up my telephone pole in my yard, while the cascades were on a trellis.

It's impossible to know the AAUs of homegrown hops (without sending them to a lab) so I'm planning on using them for flavor and aroma. I'm thinking about other varieties of aroma/flavor hops that I like.

You can buy them at a lot of homebrew shops and online stores like fresh hops. You don't buy a plant, you buy a rizome which is a section of the plant from underground, like a fat root, and the plant grows from it. Of course you can't buy them at all right now, you gotta wait till spring.

Is there interest in trading rhizomes? I have some older hops and they spread aggressively and I have pruned them in years past. I could just as easily trade them for other varieties.

Back