Looking for Hop Seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I recently built a trellis in my garden---it's three 4x4x12 posts with steel cable string between them---and I figure, why not get some hop plants to climb them next year. Does anyone know a good place to find plantable hop seeds?

search "rhizome" -- you'll get a few hits with a lot of information about people's homegrown hops...

You may be hard pressed to find seeds. I think the Rhizomes are what you really want. It's probably alot easier to get the rhizomes to grow, as opposed to germinating seeds, unless your a horticulturist.

glibbidy said:
You may be hard pressed to find seeds. I think the Rhizomes are what you really want. It's probably alot easier to get the rhizomes to grow, as opposed to germinating seeds, unless your a horticulturist.

Right on. I saw something about planting with Rhizomes when I did a google search. So, anyone know where I can order rhizomes?

You really don't want seeds, because you can't predict what the results will be. Much like apples. Rhyzomes are sections cut from known plants and they don't cost much.

david_42 said:
You really don't want seeds, because you can't predict what the results will be. Much like apples. Rhyzomes are sections cut from known plants and they don't cost much.

HMMM....so you would get an entirely new strain of hops to brew with that no one else has!:fro:

Does anyone know a good place to find plantable hop seeds?
Just hang around and someone will most likely help you. I managed to get heaps of different seeds from this forum. I now have sowed some in a small greenhouse to see if they start to germinate.

Great forum guys, I love it. Cheers to the username that sold me the seeds.

be careful with planting seeds- as a horticulturalist, i can tell you that you are VERY unlikely to get anything you want from seeds produced by most varieties

first of all, the seedlings wont be the same as the parents unless it happens to be one of the few that breeds true to seed (i think some of the english ones are like this, and are also grown with their seeds)

second, you may not be able to tell which are male and which are female even after a full season- which means you could waste two whole years growing a male plant that could turn out to be useless- and i dont know about you, but that would really f-ing piss me off!

get some rhizomes- if you know anyone with hops you can literally dig up a little piece of their rhizome system and plant it in your yard

PLANT HOPS NOW!

LMAO!! Bringing back a thread this old was just brutal.

In order to properly pay our respects to Evan!'s deceased self respect I propose that we observe a 3 minute giggle. ;)

be careful with planting seeds- as a horticulturalist, i can tell you that you are VERY unlikely to get anything you want from seeds produced by most varieties

first of all, the seedlings wont be the same as the parents unless it happens to be one of the few that breeds true to seed (i think some of the english ones are like this, and are also grown with their seeds)

second, you may not be able to tell which are male and which are female even after a full season- which means you could waste two whole years growing a male plant that could turn out to be useless- and i dont know about you, but that would really f-ing piss me off!

get some rhizomes- if you know anyone with hops you can literally dig up a little piece of their rhizome system and plant it in your yard

PLANT HOPS NOW!

Aw bummer. Been looking into getting rhizomes shipped here but there's a mildew quarantine here, so it's not possible. I might be able to get some Styrian Goldings rhizomes from Slovenija, but I wanted to plant some American varieties and see what the "terroir" difference would do.

Assuming I still want to try planting seeds, anybody have any advice or know where to get them in a place where they actually tell you the variety? Saw some on eBay and some other places, but these seemed to just be decorative. The variety was not listed.

Maybe someone would be willing to buy them for you and ship them to you in a plain box? Have you checked your LHBS? Mine has them on pre-order right now.

Maybe someone would be willing to buy them for you and ship them to you in a plain box? Have you checked your LHBS? Mine has them on pre-order right now.

LHBS? Heh heh. Yeah, if only. There's not a single homebrew shop in the entire country. I don't have a problem with mail ordering seeds. But I look around a lot today and not one was a specific variety. I understand it's totally variable if grown from seed, but still, knowing the variety might not be a bad starting point.

As for giggling at bringing back threads from the dead, I figure it's better to do that than start a new one that's a duplicate.

Haha, I didn't even look where you were from.

Makes it hard. You can't really have anyone send you any because of customs declarations.

Look on the introductions forum and there was a guy from yakima, wa who's family owns a hop farm. He might be able to help you out or guide you in the right direction.

Haha, I didn't even look where you were from.

Makes it hard. You can't really have anyone send you any because of customs declarations.

Look on the introductions forum and there was a guy from yakima, wa who's family owns a hop farm. He might be able to help you out or guide you in the right direction.

I think I'll wait until we're in a house. We're in an apartment now but I could plant one or two plants outside here. If I *were* to try seeds though, I think it'd be better to be in a house so I could plant a lot more plants, eliminate the males then make little extract batches to try the various hops produced and select out plants I like. Could be interesting. But that'll have to wait. We're saving for a house but still have another year or two to go.

Back