Looking for help or cmparison w/ common burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems there are 3 (maybe 4) common burner types. Has anyone really done a good comparison, listing out BTUs vs ease of use vs propane use etc? If someone has please post the link. I bet it hasn't been done or a sticky would (should) be in place. The common burners I'm seeing are the small diameter burner, the larger diameter burner, and jet burners.

I've used the small diameter burners for year with extract beers and small batch all grain. I have a newer system that has the 23 tip burners. They make a lot of noise, lots of yellow flame, and I bet are using a lot of gas. Just curious what might be a better option for me.

small-burner-65189.jpg

large-burner-65190.jpg

jet-burner-65191.jpg

I prefer the BG14 burner (the middle one). I think it is more efficient than the 23 jet for bringing 10-15 gallons or less to a boil. It can be found in a range of burners from the Bayou Classic KAB4/6, Blichmann burner, etc.

The BG10 is good for up to 5 gallons or so. I don't think it is as fast as the BG14.

The jets may be able to bring a larger volume of water to a boil faster but they go through more propane to do so.

Getting back to brewing and looking to make changes to my brew stand I have 3 jet burners but looking to go with something new. Anyone have a recommendation on one of these or if there is something new? I just spent an hour looking through propane burner threads on here and all the posts seem old.

Two years later, the changes are small: the BG10 is still a noisy burner, the multi-tip jets are still gas hogs, and the BG14 is still the most versatile, efficient and quiet of the lot with the most even heat pattern.

But...if you're looking for a full burner and not just the element, there's a new contender with a new element...

Cheers!

Not to much new talk in regards to propane burners. More and more people are moving towards electric so that seems to be where most of the discussion is.

The middle banjo type burners are all that I have used in the form of a bayou classic sq14 and then the Blichmann top tier. Blichmann recently released a new "hellfire" burner which may be the only "new" propane burner I've seen in years.

I run electric now but still have a blichmann for group brews. best burner I've used.

Not to much new talk in regards to propane burners. More and more people are moving towards electric so that seems to be where most of the discussion is.

The middle banjo type burners are all that I have used in the form of a bayou classic sq14 and then the Blichmann top tier. Blichmann recently released a new "hellfire" burner which may be the only "new" propane burner I've seen in years.

I run electric now but still have a blichmann for group brews. best burner I've used.

What's the Blichmann you have? Hellfire, or the old Top Tier?

What's important to remember is that on Blichmann's website they burn the Bayou Classic burners by saying they put out 1/3 of the advertised BTU/hr. What they neglect to mention is that Blichmann burners come with 10 Psi regulators whereas the Bayou Classic burners come with 30 Psi regulators. Bayou burners are advertised as 186k BTU/hr. Divide that by three for the 10 psi regulator Blichmann tested them with and you come up with.... a cheaper burner

Back