Looking for help on a west coast pale hop bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I’m looking to make a west coast pale ale and interested in what you guys might do with the following hops I have on hand:

Citra
CTZ
Ekuanot

I don’t need to combo all of those together, but looking for something similar to SN Pale Ale malt bill but with those hops. I have some Cali Ale yeast on hand too. Thx.

Bitter with CTZ to 30ish IBUs. Use the other two in equal volumes 1oz/gal whirlpool and 1oz/gal dry hop.
Although likely a tasty beer, this is not a west coast pale ale (even though that’s not really a thing), IMO. This is standard NEIPA bleed over into anything remotely hoppy.

If me, I’d go 30-40 IBU CTZ based on the grain bill with some of that at the 15-20 minute mark. Then do something like 1oz citra and 2oz CTZ at flame out. Then dry hop with .5oz citra and 1.5oz CTZ. Just how I’d do it to make a SN inspired pale ale that didn’t come off as a NEIPA.

Thanks, after doing some commercial research I’m going go CTZ all the way with a little Citra in the whirlpool.

Full suspension by new belgium is 100% columbus and torpedo ipa is mostly magnum, a little crystal and then late Citra addition.

I have these hops in hand for nepales, I’ve been making a Fort Point clone for a while and have nailed that beer, I’m just burnt out on those style of beers.

Ps yeah I’m not entering this is a contest or nailing a style, more for reference- just looking for a tasty pale ale, no adjuncts with what I have on hand 😁

Although likely a tasty beer, this is not a west coast pale ale (even though that’s not really a thing), IMO. This is standard NEIPA bleed over into anything remotely hoppy.

If me, I’d go 30-40 IBU CTZ based on the grain bill with some of that at the 15-20 minute mark. Then do something like 1oz citra and 2oz CTZ at flame out. Then dry hop with .5oz citra and 1.5oz CTZ. Just how I’d do it to make a SN inspired pale ale that didn’t come off as a NEIPA.

^^^THIS^^^ Exactly!

CTZ for bitter (reinforced at :30 min), Citra for flavor/aroma, both at flameout and D.H., 40~50ish IBUs.

That said, if you want SNPA, it should be 100% Cascade, with Chico yeast.

Thx, wasn’t looking for a snpa clone, I’m using the malt bill as I mentioned which is pale malt, crystal 60.

I’m not going to dry hop this beer - just whirlpool.

I have my recipe finished, thx for the comments

Back