Looking for Good People Brewing Coffee Oatmeal Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good People is one of the shining stars among the few breweries in Alabama and their Coffee Oatmeal Stout is a favorite of mine. I've had several other coffee-flavored stouts but this one has what I think is one of the freshest coffee flavors I've tried. Apparently they are now offering the COS in cans but I've only had it on tap.

Anyway, I looked at the Good People Brewing website for information on their process, particularly on how they add the coffee flavor but found very little. The BeerAdvocate profile had this blurb about the coffee: "Brewed with coffee from Primavera Coffee Roasters here in Birmingham, AL."

I'm wondering if anyone out there in HBT land know more about the process Good People actually uses to add the coffee to their COS?

The plot thickens! I have been googling for about an hour and finally found a blog from the coffee company which Good People uses for its COS which had this gem of information: The stout features late additions of our Peru Norté coffee in addition to hops, both of which give the beer more flavours and depth than a traditional Guinness Irish Stout or Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. http://blog.primaveracoffee.com/post/87596392/oatmeal-coffee-stout

So the coffee in some form or another is apparently added to the boil as opposed to cold pressed coffee being added to the secondary or keg as some other brewers do to make this type brew. God bless the all-knowing internets.

I get my flavors from the grains.. but, have you considered "dry hopping" with ground coffee.. no cooking, no hot steeping.. just put some fresh grounds in a bag? Only downside I see is the coffee oils.

I emailed Good People and they wrote back that they do a 24 hour cold brew and add that to the beer. They said the blog post I quoted above which reported that the coffee was added to the boil was incorrect but weren't more specific than that about when it was added. Based on what they wrote, for a 10 gallon batch of beer I calculate that I would cold brew 4 oz of coffee in 22 oz of water and add that to the beer. I plan to add it after primary fermentation is complete and I have transferred out of that carboy.

Over 24 hours I made a 22oz cold brew using 4oz of Mayan coffee I bought at Publix and added 1/2 of the result to each of two 5-gallon corney kegs. The coffee flavor is about perfect on the one I've already tapped but the aroma isn't as coffee-ish as the Good People COS. I may try to cold French press some of this same coffee to see if I can up the aroma factor on the second keg.

Over 24 hours I made a 22oz cold brew using 4oz of Mayan coffee I bought at Publix and added 1/2 of the result to each of two 5-gallon corney kegs. The coffee flavor is about perfect on the one I've already tapped but the aroma isn't as coffee-ish as the Good People COS. I may try to cold French press some of this same coffee to see if I can up the aroma factor on the second keg.

I wasn't satisfied with the coffee flavor or aroma I got from adding the cold brewed coffee so I put about 5 oz of the same Mayan coffee grounds into nylon hop bags, one inside the other, and put that into about 1/2 cup vodka for a day then added the whole thing to a keg.

WOW, in just a few days I had outstanding coffee flavor and aroma. I left the grounds in that keg for a week then pulled the coffee bag out and put it in the other and now both have terrific coffee flavor and aroma. The first keg I put the grounds in doesn't seem to have lost any flavor in the 10 or so days since I took the grounds out and put them into the other keg.

Did you try to mimic the rest of the beer recipe, or did you brew your own oatmeal stout and add coffee like they did?

You should try adding whole beans to the secondary. Works much better than flameout or cold steep additioms. Trust me, I (and a number if others) have posted about this 8 or 9 times in the past weeks

Whole bean gets you a better more rounded flavor that stays better with age, doesn't get astringent with time, and you can even use less beans to get the same amount of flavor. Once I started doing whole bean I never looked back.

Also, on another note. Toasting oats in the oven is the single best thing you can do to improve an oatmeal stout

Moops how much beans for a 5 gallon batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am trying cold brewed coffee in mine. I tried while beans in cold water and it did not work as well. The flavor of coffee from a cold brew is awesome. I am using 8 oz of fresh grounds with about a quart of water.

I'm also interested to know how much whole beans moops is using,and also how long?

I used 3 oz for a coffee blonde and upped it to 4 for an Imperial stout. Both came through with a very prevalent coffee flavor. Left 5 to 7 days like a dry hop. I just used fresh beans from a vacuum sealed bag so I didn't worry about sanitizing

I think to me it seems like adding cold brew or flameout sort of "brews" the coffee beforehand then you add it. Like a cup of fresh coffee, it tastes great at first. But even the best cup of coffee will taste awful it left for weeks to sit. Adding the beans kind of brews it slowly over time and allows the same sort if interaction between the coffee and beer that hops get when dry hopped. Like you don't hear about people making cold-steeped hop extracts to add...dry hopping seems to work better. The alcohol definitely helps extract the flavors and it doesn't seems to get any astringent tannins cause there's no heat.

I cold brew and it has no astringency. I can also leave cold brew in the fridge for weeks with no issue. I only drink espresso or cold brewed at home now.

I just tasted my oatmeal stout and it is awesome. I may pull some off with the wine thief and place a bean in it and see how quickly I notice the change in flavor and aroma.

Moop, how long does it take to get flavor. Do you leave beans in the keg? I may bottle my stout so I may still end up cold brew.

You should try adding whole beans to the secondary. Works much better than flameout or cold steep additioms. Trust me, I (and a number if others) have posted about this 8 or 9 times in the past weeks

Whole bean gets you a better more rounded flavor that stays better with age, doesn't get astringent with time, and you can even use less beans to get the same amount of flavor. Once I started doing whole bean I never looked back.

Also, on another note. Toasting oats in the oven is the single best thing you can do to improve an oatmeal stout

THIS!! I have added ground bean, added cold brew and tried with just broken beans and just whole beans. IMO whole beans is the way to go. I left the beans in for only 24 hours and i got a very nice coffee flavor. Also, i tip on avoiding astringency is to use beans that havent been roasted as dark. A bold medium roast or even light roast give fantastic coffee flavor and aroma, but much less astringency than darker beans./

Back