looking for first all grain brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attyindaburgh

Reaction score
So I have been lurking a bunch of web sites, including this one. I also sat in on a friends brew day. I am putting together my equipment and hope to do my first brew early fall. I like pale ales, hoppier the better. What about a smash brew to start with? And if so, what malt and hop to do?

Take a look at the recipe section to get an idea of what you might want to brew.

For SMASH, Vienna or Maris Otter works well for the grain. Try to figure out what hops trip your trigger. Find a commercial beer you like, look it up online and most companies will tell you what hops they put in their beer. If you have a Local Homebrew shop(LHBS) in your area, look at the hop bags to see what flavor and aroma characters are listed on the bag. I did a vienna/Centennial beer that was really good, to me. But I like the citrusy hops. Quite a few of my recipes have cascade(my favorite) hops, even my honey wheat recipe.

+1 on the Maris Otter. I just finished what I called a MATH rather than a SMASH. [Malts and two hops]. I used 60% Maris Otter and 40% two row for the malt and Magnum as the bittering hops with Chinook for the other additions. I like the pine/clean bitter (some call it dank) of chinook better than the citrus/grapefruit of cascade or centennial but that is just a personal preference.

If you are going for a summer beer, something in the 5% range then don't chase the IBU. Instead look at the bitterness ratio, SG/IBU. I like it around 1.00 to 1.10 for an easy to drink summer beer.

For you first all-grain batch, you might try Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. Not really a pale ale,* only slightly hoppy, but easy, inexpensive, and delicious.

*I just brewed a version of it as an APA, so that can be done easily enough.

Since you're new just keep your recipes simple. Two row pale and a single hop. You'd be surprised how good your beer will be.

Try 13# of two row and 3oz of centennial with US05.

.5oz @ 60
.5oz @ 15
1.0oz @ 5
1.0oz @ 0.

Back