Looking for cola recipe using Kola Nut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extrion

Reaction score
I have not had much luck looking around for a cola recipe that uses actual Kola nuts. I found one for raw coca-cola but it doesn't look like what I'm trying to find. Does anyone remember from the mid to late nineties a soda from RC called Royal Crown Draft. It was a naturally flavored soda using Kola nuts and cane sugar and it hasn't been available in the US for many years now. I can get it from New Zealand but at $280 for 38 bottles including shipping it is a bit much. This was absolutley my favorite soda of all time. Hopefully someone remembers it and the flavor and might have some ideas, as this will be my first attempt at even trying homemade soda. Thanks,

Aaron

Just saw that Homemade Soda Company (formerly Hop Tech) has one called Kool Kola that says it is derived from the Kola nut. Never tried it though.

The soda I'm trying to replicate never used coca leaf, and even if it did I can't imagine the DEA would be too happy with me trying to obtain it. :)

I'm actually gathering the ingredients for my first foray into cola creation.

I'm using the ingredients for OpenCola, the "Open Source" cola recipe. Looks tasty, if you ask me...

...but I'm not gonna lie--I'm a hardcore coke drinker, and nothing else will do. And, being as that, I felt compelled to acquire that elusive (and "illicit") ingredient known as coca leaf... It is being supplied by one of the few retailers still allowed to distribute the decocanized plant legally in the USA.

I scored me some 100g of finely ground coca powder, but that is where the trail ends for me... Not really sure about the quantity I should put in. I've read as much as 10lbs for 36 gallons of syrup (roughly >100g per 5-6gal), to as minuscule as 0.35g diluted in 20% EtOH... This recipe is a mystery, alright...

Anyway, I'm gonna do a little more research, but if anyone has any tips on concentration needed for a 5gal batch, please chime in. I also have some kola nut, but again, am not 100% on the quantities I need to use...

Not sure if coke even uses Kola (probably not) but a little can't hurt...

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread. But how was that oen cola recipe? And did you ever find a recipe for cola nuts?

Hi! I am reviving this post in hopes that someone will come back and share their success at making natural Cola. If you tried it, did it work? And how did it taste? What recipe did you use? Thanks so much!

I have used kola nut powder in attempts to make a natural cola, however, the nut itself doesn't seem to add much in the way of flavor other than a little bitterness. I prefer the recipes floating around that use flavor oils and the herbal recipes such as mine as adapted from the NYTimes article.

Back