looking for cascade hop rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's late but i want some Cascade Rhizomes for my garden. I planted 3 in mounds early spring. They started well but i think all the rain we got water logged the little guys - i've got nothing going now. and the rhizomes look ugly. If anyone knows where I can get some rhizomes at still this late?

Thanks.

You might want to put off this idea until next spring. Its pretty late in the growing season. My Cascades are already producing cones!

i lost my cascade and centennial rhizomes 2-3 wks ago.

cascades are impossible to find. so i got another centennial and zeus.

i figure ill give cascade another go next year.

i too am just trying to get roots established for next year at this point.

good luck kegtoe. id go for centennial if i were you, next best thing.

What do you have to lose by putting them in the ground now? The rhizomes are about four bucks each. That's half a six pack of decent beer. Shipping isn't that much. Planting them now gives you much better odds for some yield next year. It gets you that much closer to good a good root system for that magic third year, when you can expect a significant yield. I just planted four more yesterday.

I think if you have the sense to not fool yourself, planting them this late is fine. You'll get a stronger plant next year and if your patient, that's a great thing. No leads though, sorry.

where did you buy yours from???

i lost my cascade and centennial rhizomes 2-3 wks ago.

cascades are impossible to find. so i got another centennial and zeus.

i figure ill give cascade another go next year.

i too am just trying to get roots established for next year at this point.

good luck kegtoe. id go for centennial if i were you, next best thing.

i bought my first rhizomes from "MoreBeer!"

they were pretty dissapointing, like small straws. very tiny.

The hop rhizomes I got from Freshops were great. The rhizomes I got from Thyme Garden, even better. The rhizomes I got from the local brewstore, WEAK. If I only had the local brewstore rhizomes (origin unknown), I would think hops are the hardest most delicate thing in the world to grow.

I +1 Freshops, and also recomend Thyme Garden

http://www.storesonline.com/site/561124/page/217466

Retrofit: I totally agree with you. ive never heard of thyme garden but i will have to check them out next year. looks like theyre all out. no surprise there. thanks for the recommendation though.

I just stumbled on this site in when googling. Has anyone dealt with them? Pricy, but they appear to have quite a bit still in stock--perhaps because of their prices. If you really want to get cascades in the ground this year, it might be worthwhile checking them out.

http://www.highhops.net/

Edit: Starting as if for a purchase, these appear to still be live offers for sale. They are also selling live plants, not rhizomes.

from the main page of the website: WE ARE NOW FINISHED SHIPPING HOP RHIZOMES FOR 2010. IT WAS AN AWESOME YEAR!! THANK YOU.

The hop rhizomes I got from Freshops were great. The rhizomes I got from Thyme Garden, even better. The rhizomes I got from the local brewstore, WEAK. If I only had the local brewstore rhizomes (origin unknown), I would think hops are the hardest most delicate thing in the world to grow.

I +1 Freshops, and also recomend Thyme Garden

http://www.storesonline.com/site/561124/page/217466

I know it's late but i want some Cascade Rhizomes for my garden. I planted 3 in mounds early spring. They started well but i think all the rain we got water logged the little guys - i've got nothing going now. and the rhizomes look ugly. If anyone knows where I can get some rhizomes at still this late?

Thanks.

Check out this thread. There is a link to a place that looks like they are selling plants not rhizomes. They are expensive but if you are getting established plants it might be worth it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/looking-hop-rhizomes-oklahoma-184745/

i just bought 2 plants, i'll let the group know how this turns out, hopefully they are worht the extra$$$

I just stumbled on this site in when googling. Has anyone dealt with them? Pricy, but they appear to have quite a bit still in stock--perhaps because of their prices. If you really want to get cascades in the ground this year, it might be worthwhile checking them out.

http://www.highhops.net/

Edit: Starting as if for a purchase, these appear to still be live offers for sale. They are also selling live plants, not rhizomes.

yeah, i'm not quite sure. i'm hopeing there established "plants" with good root structure already developed. Like i said i'll post once they arive.

It says they are shipped in a cone. It sounds like small plants with leaves, rather than a rhizome with just buds.

I wouldn't be afraid to try rhizomes still, but the choices at Freshops are down to Willamettes and Zeus. Zeus is identical to Columbus and Tomahawk, and is compared to Cascade as similar in it's citrusy character. It has about triple the alpha acid, so it will go much further for bittering, but should still be reasonably close for flavoring and aroma additions. The rhizomes cost 1/3 of the cost of a plant. You could buy three, and if two die you break even. If more make it you're ahead. Two of the three Northern Brewer rhizomes I planted on 6/28 have come up in the past few days, as has the Mt Hood rhizome. It is still a short time enough time since they were planted for me to have reasonable hope for the other NB to make it. If not, three out of four ain't bad for $20.

alright everyone here is what i got for $15 bucks each - was it worth it?? - I'll let you all be the judge of that.

IMG_05212.JPG

interesting.

is there a section of solid rhizome in the container there?

or is it just shoots with roots?

havent seen this before..

I thought i had a pic when i pulled them out of the yellow "cone" - all you can see is a lump of soil and very fine roots. I'm not sure if there is a rhizome contained in the dirt or not but if ther is, its a small chunk.

It sounds to me like they got them started from cuttings. If you are able to get them to grow this year, you'll be in business next year.

Latest posts

Back