Looking for an inline filter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

R.G.

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm looking for an inline filter to put between the kettle and pump when connecting a plate chiller.
looking for something like this:
but seems it will not intendent for high temperature.
Any suggestions on a good inline filter that can handle the temperature of a boiling wort?
Thanks

effinsyv

Reaction score
We use this filter but we actually have it for the fermenter to the keg.

you could put it after the chiller into the fermenter. I don’t think it can take the heat so you’d be better off moving the filter to a different part of the circuit. Just a thought.

1/2" Hose Barb in-Line Strainer with 50 mesh Stainless Steel Filter Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH29IK...abc_YQG489VPRVFWJBR09WQK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
Those tiny "filters" can't hold much of what would be of concern wrt a plate chiller, especially as batch size and hop loading increase.
I mean, I've been rocking a Hopstopper of late doing 10 gallon batches of neipa brews and there is a metric crap ton of hop debris left behind at the end of the brew that would fill a half dozen of those little "filters" - assuming they'd block pellet mush...

1614492756555.png

I'd look for something that has a chance of working. I don't think those little dudes are it...

Cheers!

effinsyv

Reaction score
Good point on the NEIPA’s. I probably should have mentioned that we use one of those filters from our fermenter to the keg To catch the bug stuff that may come from racking. We also have a hop spider for the kettle which catches most of the hop solids....and a screen on the pickup tube in the kettle.
the Spider helped a lot especially on the bigger, happier beers. We’re also doing 10 batches.