Looking for an extract Yellow Snow IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
Rogues Yellow snow IPA is my favorite IPA unfortuantely its seasonal and is hard to find where I am. Can anyone suggest a good clone? Here is the Description from Rogue:

6 Ingredients:

Malts: Two Row Pale, Cara Foam & Melanoiden.

Hops: Amarillo.

Yeast & Water: Rogue’s Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

OK, but what is the extract equivalent of:

90% Pale
8% Carafoam
2% Melanoiden

OK, this is my guess:

Extract:
Munton's Light Dry Extract 8 lbs

Steeping grains:
Briess 2 Row Carapils 0.8 oz
Weyermann Melanoidin 0.8 oz

hops:
Amarillo Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1 oz @ 30 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1 oz @ 10 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1 oz @ dry hopped

Yeast
Wyeast Labs Pacman - Private Collection

On the right track?

Now That I think about it, carapils and Melanoidin aren't really steeping grains are they?

yeah that's on the right track. I didn't run the numbers but just make sure that your target OG is close to that of Yellow Snow. I think those malts do need to be mashed. So maybe toss in a pound of 2 row to get the enzymes. Hold it at about 150-155F for 30 minutes. A mini mash is similar to steeping...

Thanks. I'm still new at this and I want to wait until i do a few more batches before I jump to a mini mash

If you don't want to do a mini mash you could do something like this instead. It is my extract IPA based on Jamil Zainasheff's "Hoppiness is an IPA."

You can take out the Cascade and put in Amarillo if you'd like to be closer to Yellow Snow. This Cascade recipe is ridiculously hoppy (cuz I like it that way) so feel free to tone it down a bit toward what you posted above. It might not taste like Yellow Snow but it should be pretty damn good. You could also use Rogue's Pacman yeast instead of the Safale Dry US-05 but I doubt you'd taste the difference.

OK, here is my next draft of the recipe. Comments?

Extract:
7 lbs Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract

mini mash grains:
½ lb Crystal 20L (in place of Yellow Snows original recipe that calls for 2 row pale)
½ lb Carapils® (dextrine malt)
½ lb Melanoidin

Heat to 150-155* for 1/2 hour in 2 quarts of water. Then sparge with an additional quart and a half of 150* water through a strainer.

add to brew pot, add extract and begin boil

hops:

Ferment with a US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

THis is how it calculates out. Pretty close except maybe a little high on the OG.

OG 1.068
FG 1.016
IBU 71
SRM 11
ABV 6.7

Yeah but the Crystal 20 is not a substitute for 2row pale. Crystal 20 is a steeping grain. It has no diastatic power. Add a pound of 2 row and take out a pound of extract and do it like this:

If there are no enzymes (diastatic power) you are not actually doing a mini mash. The two row needs to be there.

Extract:
6 lbs Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract

mini mash grains:
1# 2 row
½ lb Carapils® (dextrine malt)
½ lb Melanoidin

Heat to 150-155* for 1/2 hour in 2 quarts of water. Then sparge with an additional quart and a half of 150* water through a strainer.

add to brew pot, add extract and begin boil

hops:

Ferment with a US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

Jsut bottled this yesterday and it tasted pretty good. Not as much aroma or hop taste as I wanted but it was a mini mash so I expect my all grain version to get better utilization.

OK, so I finally tasted my first bottle of this. It's an amazing representation. The only quibble is not as much hop aroma as I wanted, but it got the bitterness aspect down just right. Of course what I tasted was still green and not totally carbonated yet, but I just couldn’t wait.

A few mistakes:

I mini mashed and during it I got a bunch of phone calls from work which forced me to take my eye of the ball so I think I lost my temp. I left it on a bit longer to make up for it and when I checked for conversion it was fine but my OG was low in the mid 1.040’s.

My FG was high, about 1.018. I’m assuming because I just pitched my safale dry yeast as is and didn’t use a starter. My final ABV is about 4, which is low, but really, it tastes great, so if I had to screw up something, I’m glad it was that.

Also, Yellow snow uses all Amarillo hops. I substituted some cascades for a few of the additions, and added a high bitterness Hp at 60 minutes since Amarillos arent super high on bitterness and I would’ve had to dump a lot in to get my levels.

Back