Looking for advice on my 2nd year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndytheBeave

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My second year Willamettes are coming up really well here in South-Western Canada. I have 4 good shoots coming up. Well I guess you can't call them shoots anymore. 1 is now a bine that is starting to grow up a bamboo pole and is well over a foot tall. The others are about 8", 6" and 4" tall respectively and all have good leaves coming out.
My question is, do I sacrifice the 4" guy to promote the growth off of the other 3?
They are in a 5 gallon pot with really good soil. I can't believe how fast the 12" bine is already growing. It has already wrapped around the pole several times.
Any advice on this would be awesome. I also have some magnums that coming up but are no where near as far along.
Thanks and glasses up! :mug:

Cut them all down. The first shoots are not good producers. Then as they come back, make sure to cut the suckers. Squeeze the shoots, and if they collapse like a straw, cut them down. I'm trimming everything until may 1.

Back