Looking for advice on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pockets121

Reaction score
Good day !

I have made numerous batches of paps cider, which have received rave reviews. However my wife finds it a little too sweet.

I am looking to make a batch that caters more to her tastes.

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe that would be a little more on the drier side with some sweetness. Something more towards the strongbow level of sweetness.

Hi pockets121. Why don't you simply ferment the cider dry and then back sweeten it to the precise level of sweetness you /your wife prefer? I have never measured the sweetness of Strongbow but 4 oz of sugar in a gallon will raise the gravity by 10 points. That said, the perceived level of sweetness has a great deal to do with the ABV, the pH , the TA and the amount of tannin in the cider so you will want to bench test rather than assume that if your cider has the same gravity as the commercial cider it will taste as sweet...

You could just cut back on the sugar that you add when making paps cider, but honestly, 10lbs of sugar, 1118, and treetop is NOT going to make the best cider. I'd look for a local orchard and get some fresh pressed and some tamer yeast. Look at cider or ale yeasts. And don't add sugar up front!

Back