Looking for a way to filter before racking to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be bottling a boston ale which has been in the secondary for 2 weeks. I dry hopped in the secondary and i didnt know about Hop bags so I just dumped the hops (1.5 oz of Ek Goldings) into the secondary. Not all of the hops have fell out of suspension, and I dont want to get any into my bottling bucket and potentially into my bottles

Is there any means of filtering those out without oxidizing the beer?? I was thinking maybe a bit of sanitized cheese cloth on the end of my racking tube.

imasickboy said:
Cheesecloth is good. Pantyhose would probably be much better, though.

I used the pantyhose idea when I racked to the keg last time and it worked great since I had dryhopped with whole leaf hops and they were everywhere. You'll need an auto siphon to make it work though. I tried with a regular racking cane when I first started and I could'nt get the siphon started.

Good Luck
Al

I figured panty hose may add flavour (unwanted of course) whats the best way of attaching it to the hose? and at which end, the end from the secondary or the end to the bottling bucket??

Back