Looking for a starter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicia9379

Reaction score
sorry if this has already been talked about. I tried looking through to see if it was covered but could not find anything through the pages I looked at...

I’m looking to get a beer kit for my BF for Christmas. I know a lot of the it’s are a rip off. Honestly I know nothing about beer but he and my dad have been talking about Home brewing and even growing the hops.

I know a lot of people don’t use a pre made kit, and just buy materials themselves. I was hoping to get some suggestion on what materials are best, or if here is even a good starter kit already that is recommended. Also where to get a good variety of hip plants to buy and plant.

Any information greatly appreciated and again, sorry if this has already been discussed.

Alicia

I haven’t gotten anything yet. I’ve been looking online and there is an overwhelming amount of information which is great, I just want to make sure I’m buying good equipment and ingredients. I found some good priced starter kits, but they had poor reviews. So I figured I would reach out to those who know where to start.

Does he like to drink a lot of beer and enjoys working in the kitchen? If so buy a kit that will handle 5 gallon batches. IF NOT and this is going to be a once or twice type thing get him a 1 gallon kit to start with. Cheaper out front and the kits (ingredients) are cheaper too.
Northern Brewer is running deal today... Buy one get one.. So if there is a second person you'd like to include on the program... 49.00 free ship for the two(1 Gal kits)... FWIW. I just deleted the coupon code at check out for the 1 gallon BOGO (sorry) head over there and register email (Might get the offer?) Here is a link to where I am referring.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits?new-brewers

Many have started with extract kits with steeping grains for a "mini mash" and these kits can produce "good beer" when the right process is followed. I don't have a recommendation on a brew kit, but places on line like homebrew supply.com , morebeer.com etc have some good deals. Glass carboys are not essential. As far as ingredient kits, as long as you know what styles of beer they like that's where to start. Nice that you're not going to Target for a Mr Beer!

Does he like to drink a lot of beer and enjoys working in the kitchen? If so buy a kit that will handle 5 gallon batches. IF NOT and this is going to be a once or twice type thing get him a 1 gallon kit to start with. Cheaper out front and the kits (ingredients) are cheaper too.
Northern Brewer is running deal today... Buy one get one.. So if there is a second person you'd like to include on the program... 49.00 free ship for the two(1 Gal kits)... FWIW. I just deleted the coupon code at check out for the 1 gallon BOGO (sorry) head over there and register email (Might get the offer?) Here is a link to where I am referring.
https://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits?new-brewers

That’s awesome thank you!!!! He and my dad drink beer every night. He loves IPAs. My dad likes simple beer so I’m looking for this to be something they both can do. I think they would make it often if they get the hang of it. I’ll check it out thanks!!

Bubbles2 found the BOGO code on Retailmenot and got 2 microbrew kits. It was $49.99 with free shipping so I figured mine as well. Still going to look around too though!

IMO, this is THE best starter kit you can buy for the money:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-homebrew-starter-kit.html

It's pricey at $229.99, but that includes shipping, and also includes an extract ingredient kit, worth probably $30 or so, thus the equipment cost is really about $200.

I don't know if that's in your budget or not, but if I were starting over again, knowing what I know now, I'd buy this one. It includes things most starter kits do not, including:

• 8.5 gallon kettle with ball valve and ability to add a thermometer later if desired.
  • immersion chiller
  • spoon
  • hydrometer (for measuring sugar content in the wort)
  • Star-San sanitizer.

The only two things you don't have are a heat source (turkey fryer outside will work), and beer bottles for bottling the fermented beer.

I started brewing 2 years ago. Just finished my 45th batch on Friday, but I remember very clearly what it was like to be a newbie. I spent what probably was $400+ to get all the things included in the Morebeer kit. Those are all things your boyfriend will want, even if he doesn't yet know it.

That's my 2 cents--good luck with whatever you decide to get, and I'm sure he'll have fun with it.

IMO, this is THE best starter kit you can buy for the money:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-homebrew-starter-kit.html

It's pricey at $229.99, but that includes shipping, and also includes an extract ingredient kit, worth probably $30 or so, thus the equipment cost is really about $200.

I don't know if that's in your budget or not, but if I were starting over again, knowing what I know now, I'd buy this one. It includes things most starter kits do not, including:

• 8.5 gallon kettle with ball valve and ability to add a thermometer later if desired.
  • immersion chiller
  • spoon
  • hydrometer (for measuring sugar content in the wort)
  • Star-San sanitizer.

The only two things you don't have are a heat source (turkey fryer outside will work), and beer bottles for bottling the fermented beer.

I started brewing 2 years ago. Just finished my 45th batch on Friday, but I remember very clearly what it was like to be a newbie. I spent what probably was $400+ to get all the things included in the Morebeer kit. Those are all things your boyfriend will want, even if he doesn't yet know it.

That's my 2 cents--good luck with whatever you decide to get, and I'm sure he'll have fun with it.

I will check this out! Just ordered a BOGO microbrew set but those can always be Christmas gifts. I’d love for a really good starter kit for him so this sounds great. Pricey, but sounds worth it. Thank you!

I’m sure they will go all in! I hope they do. I also want to order hop plants for them to grow... so any suggestions on growing hops and where to buy the stuff would be great too!

Rhizomes of hops are available in the spring, but you might be able to get plants here and info about which varieties might do well in your location...

Being a new brewer myself, I will also say that the morebeer kits suggested by PADave, mongoose33, maxstout are really great to start with. The one that mongoose33 linked to is the kit i went with. The only piece I wasn't that happy with was the tiny thermometer, otherwise everything is there (minus the heat source and bottles as already stated). The 8.5 gallon pot has also allowed me to move from extract brewing to 3 gallon BIAB recipe kits from norther brewer so you can grow with that kit.

I’m a new brewer and I went with the Northern Brewer Brew Share Enjoy kit, they were running a special and I got it for around $60 out the door. It is definitely a bargain and I’ve had a lot of fun with it, already have added to it and am moving from buckets to glass. If you are buying as a gift it may by wise to add a hydrometer and some bottles if you haven’t been saving them so that he can have everything he needs.

I’m a new brewer and I went with the Northern Brewer Brew Share Enjoy kit, they were running a special and I got it for around $60 out the door. It is definitely a bargain and I’ve had a lot of fun with it, already have added to it and am moving from buckets to glass. If you are buying as a gift it may by wise to add a hydrometer and some bottles if you haven’t been saving them so that he can have everything he needs.

Can I suggest that you reconsider moving to glass? There are excellent plastic fermenters out there that will never break, never shatter, never cause injury like glass will do. Morebeer's fermonster is just one example.

There's a thread on here somewhere that details the injuries people have sustained from glass carboys. Speaking for myself, and only for myself, there's no way I'd ferment beer in a glass carboy. Harder to clean, heavy, and....well, I consider them dangerous.

My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back