Looking for a Southern English Brown Ale extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearish

Reaction score
Ello Guv'na! :D

I'm looking for a good tested and tried Southern English Brown Ale extract recipe to make. I haven't had a SEBA ever before and want to try it out. So, if you have one and wouldn't mind sharing it please do.

Thanks!

:D
P.S. rookie brewer here so make it easy to understand....lol

Jamil has a recipe for it in brewing classic styles. I will be doing the all grain version after my american wheat and pliny clone.

I recently got a recipe for Northern English Brown Ale using a pale extract base. I think the only difference is that the Southern has a lower IBU (less bitter) and the Southern asks for different Wyeast liquid yeast.
If you'd like the Northern recipe I could tone it down to an IBU that the beer calculus site would recommend for the Southern style.

Nice... I get your point Dolemite

I took the Northern English recipe from "Classic Styles" and played with it until it fit all the requirements for the Southern style on the Beer Calculus site.

Southern English Brown Ale: 5 gallons
LB OZ
5 6 Alexander's Pale Extract Boil
0 12 (3/4#) Briess Special Roast Steep
0 12 (3/4#) American Crystal 40L Steep
0 12 (3/4#) American Victory Steep
0 12 (3/4#) Pale Chocolate Malt Steep
.75 ounces of Goldings at 60 mins
.5 ounces of Goldings at 5 mins
OG 1.042 FG 1.011 4.1% alcohol
21 SRM (Brown to Dark Brown) 18 IBU (malty and sweet)
Nottingham dry yeast or go to this page at the Wyeast site to choose a strain of liquid yeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styledetails.cfm?ID=157

Directions: steep the grains in 1.5 gallons of water at 60degrees celsius for 30 mins then remove. Add 1/2 the extract and get the batch up to a boil, then add the .75 ounces of Goldings, stirring often initially so the extract doesn't stick to the pot bottom. After 55 minutes add the .5 ounces of Goldings. After 5 minutes remove all the hops with a strainer (or use hop socks, it's easier) and then dump the hot wort into cool water and top off the fermenter to 19L.

Let me know if you want the Northern English Brown Ale recipe.

Thanks a lot guys, especially you Sir-Hops-A-Lot. I've tried Northern English Brown Ales, I like them but wanted to try the sweeter and maltier Southern. I might ask for the Northern also. Anyways thank you for taking the time to help me.

You are welcome.
When you have brewed your beer find this thread and let us know how it goes. I am currently fermenting the Northern recipe. The hard part is waiting the 2 months in bottle!

Back