Looking for a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaState

Reaction score
Something that resembles Rolling Rock (yes I know, bad beer). But I like it a lot. Anyone got any suggestions?

While I don't have a recipe, one issue that you need to be aware of is that Rolling Rock is a lager. You can't just bang one together and let it sit bubbling in your spare room, and get a beer like Rolling Rock.

Lagering requires a lot more time and, potentially, equipment (like a temperature controlled fridge). It takes at least six weeks of conditioning after fermentation. I would start of with a light, crisp ale first, if you want to work towards making a clone of Rolling Rock. There are lots in the recipe section of the forum.

I'm in no way trying to pi$$ in your cornflakes; just saying that there's a lot of technique along with a recipe for that kind of beer.

Best of luck. :mug:

Something that resembles Rolling Rock (yes I know, bad beer). But I like it a lot. Anyone got any suggestions?

First, two questions for you:

Can you do all grain?

Can you provide temperature control for lager fermentation?

If the answer to both is yes, then you could try something like the recipe below. Mash low, about 148F, and pitch a big yeast starter.

6 lb 2-Row Domestic malt
.5 lb 10L Crystal malt
1.5 lbs Flaked Rice
1.5 lbs Flaked Maize
.75 oz Hallertau 3.75 %AA @ 60 Min
.25 oz Hallertau 3.75 % AA @ 20 Min

Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager Yeast

Not sure but I'm going to read and I'm not sure what temp Lager needs to be at.

From what I've seen on the bottle Rolling Rock is an "Extra Pale" ale, does that make it not a lager?

Latest posts

Back