Looking for a recipe using White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife gave me a tube of White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager with the idea that I make her a California Common style ale. After I had her sample Anchor Steam beer she said that wants something more of a lager than this style beer. Anyone have an all grain recipe that would make good use of this yeast in the lager area instead of a California Ale? She is just not into steam beer right now.

She doesn't like California common? You could use that yeast on any lager-ish style, like cream ale if you want. A cream ale would be really nice with that strain.

She doesn't like California common? You could use that yeast on any lager-ish style, like cream ale if you want. A cream ale would be really nice with that strain.

She loves dark beers, APAs and IPAs but thought that the California Common style was kind of boring. Thus, she wants a crisp tasting beer for a change that has more flavor than your typical BMC beer that tastes watered down.

I was thinking of doing either a cream ale style with this yeast that you mentioned or your Fizzy Yellow Beer with the yeast but I am wondering what temperature I should ferment this at? I can go down to the 40s F.

Thanks for the reply.

She loves dark beers, APAs and IPAs but thought that the California Common style was kind of boring. Thus, she wants a crisp tasting beer for a change that has more flavor than your typical BMC beer that tastes watered down.

I was thinking of doing either a cream ale style with this yeast that you mentioned or your Fizzy Yellow Beer with the yeast but I am wondering what temperature I should ferment this at? I can go down to the 40s F.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't use that strain much (prefer the Wyeast version) but I think it's good up to bout about 62-64 degrees. Any higher and it gets too fruity. You could easily use it at 55-58 degrees, assuming a large starter.

It does well in my black ipa's and I've used it in porters. Basically just makes them seem cleaner tasting than with ale yeast. I usually only do this if I have it on hand and want to get rid of it though.

It does well in my black ipa's and I've used it in porters. Basically just makes them seem cleaner tasting than with ale yeast. I usually only do this if I have it on hand and want to get rid of it though.

I like to wash (reuse) my yeast so having something darker to brew with the washed yeast is a good idea. Thank you fr the suggestion.

Back