Looking for a recipe example.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpiderX79

Reaction score
I've got all my brew how to books and the advice on this website. I'm looking for an example of an all grain bill that uses the alot of grain for a 5 gallon batch. That would help me decide what size mash tun I should get. Thank you.

I just brewed a Belgian Dark Strong ale that used 23lbs of grain. When I mashed in, I came within 2 inches of the top of my converted 10gal Igloo mash tun (round). The OG was 1.110. I really can't see me doing anything bigger. That was for a full-boil, 5 gal batch, btw. I could post the recipe, if that helps.

I've got all my brew how to books and the advice on this website. I'm looking for an example of an all grain bill that uses the alot of grain for a 5 gallon batch. That would help me decide what size mash tun I should get. Thank you.

What kind of beers do you want to brew? Any high gravity beer uses more grain. If you assume a default efficiency of 75%, which most published recipes are written for, then your gravity points per pound/per gallon are approximately 27. So a beer with 1.054 OG would require 10 lbs for five gallons, an OG 1.081 brew would need 15 lbs and a OG 1.108 barleywine/RIS or the sort would need 20 lbs. Bear in mind that extraction efficiency drops as you get into higher gravity beers so in the real world you would almost certainly need more pounds per gallon to hit the OG on the big ones.

Back