Looking for a Raspberry Honey Wheat recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you doing all grain or extract?

My suggestion would be to just pick a wheat beer recipe that looks good to you as a starting point. Honey contributes little beyond more sugars for the yeast, but you could add some honey malt if you're looking for the sweetness. Brew as normal and add raspberries to the secondary to get the raspberry flavor you're looking for.

4 lbs PaleAmerican 2 row
4 lbs American White Wheat malt
3 lbs frozen raspberries added to secondary
1 lb flaked oats
1/2 to 1 lb rice hulls
zest of 2-3 fresh lemons added to wort with 5 min left in boil
1/2 oz citra with 20 min left
1 oz pacifica with 10 min left
8 oz honey added with 5 min left
1 smack pack of wyeast 1056 (starter or direct pitch) pretty log OG so you shoud be ok direct pitching

5-5.5 gal batch.

Mash at 152-154 for 60 minutes, batch sparge.
60 minute boil.
OG should be 1.048 - 1.050
FG schould be 1.012

2 stage ferm at 68, 14 primary, 7 secondary with the raspberries. Sanitize a strainer and rack into bottling bucket through strainer to catch raspberry seeds.

4 oz corn sugar for bottle conditioning.

Great color and raspberry nose. Nice tart raspberry wheat ale flavor. My Beer for the Summer! Plays well with slow smoked pigs and yardbirds.

Wheat Harvest Raspberry Ale.jpg

IMAG0981.jpg

This is cool! My wife was just asking me tonight if I had thought of making a raspberry wheat beer This looks fantastic! One question - it looks like you put the raspberries into the fermentor whole. Wouldn't I get more flavor, and more additional fermentable sugars if I pureed the raspberries?

TXBighops

They were 12 oz bags of frozen raspberries. I hit them with a rolling pin and poured them into the carboy through a sanitized funnel while they were still frozen. Most got smashed up pretty well but a few were left whole. I imagine pureeing them may help but I figured they were bug free in the bag and didn't feel like thawing, pureeing, pasteurizing, cooling then pouring. You could really leave them in secondary for another week or two. It just looked and smelled so good I lost patience and bottled as soon as the FG was stable at 1.012. I haven't found anyone that doesn't like it yet. :mug:

4 lbs PaleAmerican 2 row
4 lbs American White Wheat malt
3 lbs frozen raspberries added to secondary
1 lb flaked oats
1/2 to 1 lb rice hulls
zest of 2-3 fresh lemons added to wort with 5 min left in boil
1/2 oz citra with 20 min left
1 oz pacifica with 10 min left
8 oz honey added with 5 min left
1 smack pack of wyeast 1056 (starter or direct pitch) pretty log OG so you shoud be ok direct pitching

5-5.5 gal batch.

Mash at 152-154 for 60 minutes, batch sparge.
60 minute boil.
OG should be 1.048 - 1.050
FG schould be 1.012

2 stage ferm at 68, 14 primary, 7 secondary with the raspberries. Sanitize a strainer and rack into bottling bucket through strainer to catch raspberry seeds.

4 oz corn sugar for bottle conditioning.

Great color and raspberry nose. Nice tart raspberry wheat ale flavor. My Beer for the Summer! Plays well with slow smoked pigs and yardbirds.

No aeration off flavors from straining?

TXBighops

They were 12 oz bags of frozen raspberries. I hit them with a rolling pin and poured them into the carboy through a sanitized funnel while they were still frozen. Most got smashed up pretty well but a few were left whole. I imagine pureeing them may help but I figured they were bug free in the bag and didn't feel like thawing, pureeing, pasteurizing, cooling then pouring. You could really leave them in secondary for another week or two. It just looked and smelled so good I lost patience and bottled as soon as the FG was stable at 1.012. I haven't found anyone that doesn't like it yet. :mug:

Thanks. Your additional clarification is very helpful. I haven't done a beer with fruit yet, so I'm not up on the process. I'll do some reading and decide which way to go. I'll be making this mostly for others to drink, so patience won't be that big of an issue.

fuzzy mitten.

Not that my pedestrian palate is capable of detecting. I'm no judge of any kind but I like good beer. I guess you could tie a hop bag to the end of the siphon hose but I'm sure I aerated it a little bit stirring in the bottling sugar. It carbonated just right and tastes pretty darn good to me.

fuzzy mitten.

Not that my pedestrian palate is capable of detecting. I'm no judge of any kind but I like good beer. I guess you could tie a hop bag to the end of the siphon hose but I'm sure I aerated it a little bit stirring in the bottling sugar. It carbonated just right and tastes pretty darn good to me.

Good enough answer for me! Lol Believe me if aeration was there even beginner palates can taste that awfulness. I wasnt the op on this but sounds like a tasty brew, thanks for the recipe.

I wouldn't say my palate is that of a beginner. I'm fifty and probably started drinking beer 35+ years ago and started drinking really good beer (read not BMC) about 29 yrs ago. I'm just no beer judge. You are welcome for the recipe feel free to tweak it to your liking. :D

What is batch sparge? Also is there any other yeast I can use? I like the liquid yeast. Can I get the ingredients from my local brew shop....are they pretty standard is what I'm asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There is an extract recipe in the recipe section under fruit beers. I just brewed it about 6 weeks ago and she is aging away in the bottles. My guess is it needs to mellow in the bottles for several weeks so the flavors can settle in. I used a puree instead of real/frozen fruit.

What is batch sparge? Also is there any other yeast I can use? I like the liquid yeast. Can I get the ingredients from my local brew shop....are they pretty standard is what I'm asking?

If you we're fly sparging you would shower the water into your mash tun, where as with batch sparging is when you pour it all in at once, mix it up, and wait for the grain bed to settle again before doing a second vorlauf.

You can use ingredients from anywhere as long as they are fresh. The yeast technically should correspond to the beer style you are making.

Back