Looking for a quick suggestion on yeast pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidarien

Reaction score
At the moment, im boiling a hefe weizen up, but heres the problem. My wyeast 3056 activator for it isnt expanding like normal (its 3.5 months old or so). So, it seems clear theres a delayed reaction going on there probably due to the inactive state of the yeast.

So heres my question, what would you guys advise I do once ive finished the boil and chilled the wort. Direct pitch it anyway? Wait until tommorow for the pack to expand? I have no wheat DME left for a starter, as well, unless i siphon off some of the wort for a starter and wait a few days with sitting wort until the starter was ready. Its 1.05ish SG brew, so...im not all that sure the yeast would be fighting an uphill battle.

Thoughts?

I'd put the yeast somewhere fairly warm and see what happens between now ant when you're ready to pitch. If it puffs, it's obvious, if not, you could wait, or just use it. Me, I'd prolly pitch it anyways and asses in the morning. It's not gonna hurt anything, so if you have to re-pitch, then do it.

Well, if i direct pitch, im just worried due to its inactive state...itll have trouble with attunation. I mean, i could order more but thats a 3 day wait.

Back