Looking for a honey recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsatsa

Reaction score
My father produces chestnut honey (in Switzerland) and I'm planning to brew a beer using it. I would like a finished beer that taste honey, not just using it as sugar. I desperately look around over the internet but I couldn't find any recipe using with that purpose.

Any suggestion? European malts are a plus, but I'm open to any idea

Honey in beer tends to be quite subtle. I've used 1kg in a 23L batch and still barely been able to taste it (there was quite a bit of hop though). Have you thought about making mead?

Yes I tried but I was really looking for a beer with the woody taste of chestnut honey. Mead is totally different

Second the braggot suggestion. I had a ton of honey I wanted to use in a single beer, so I made a tripel braggot. It turned out really well.

One note of caution - it takes a LONG time to condition out. It took almost 2 months to clean up the "hot" alcohol taste (and I had tolerant yeast), and now, at 6 months or so, the honey character is really front and center.

I like the Idea of honey in Beer but the facts for me after 15 or so attempts are that it is difficult to put 10% honey in a beer and find it easily even with honey malt I find it subtle. I have not tried any braggotts or meads tho. I find to find the honey the easiest I need a 4% beer and it to be malty and low hopped. :tank:

Yes I tried but I was really looking for a beer with the woody taste of chestnut honey. Mead is totally different

I made a braggot with 60% honey, 36% pale malt and 4% chocolate. mashed malts, added Saaz for 30 IBU in a 30 munites boil.
fermented with a Safale,don't remember wich strain. but it turned out well, after one year aging in bottle.
As chestnut is stronger, maybe you ca use 30-40% of honey. But I remember that you can feel chestnut honey taste even in beers with less than 20% of it: you must be careful as the taste is very strong!

Back