Looking for a gypsum substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friday

Reaction score
I'm looking for a safe gypsum substitute. Something that can be obtained at a small grocery store.

I'm asking because I don't have a brew shop near by and I don't want to mail order it.

If this has been covered in another thread can some one please post the link to it.

Thanks, Friday

I just seems kinda, err I don't like to pay shipping I guess. I have my brother bring in my beer brewing supply twice a year and I forgot gypsum.

Chemically Plaster of Paris is Gypsum that's been heated to drive out some of the water . But you just cant go down to home depot and buy some and throw it in your wort because its prob been treated with all sorts of stuff and prob has lime in it. Its got to be food grade. so its going to be cheaper and easier to just buy it online for a few $.

I guess I'll just order some. Being that I live in the middle of nowhere I'm always looking for alternatives. I have to think at least a week in advance if I need something, so I have had to get good at getting by.

If you want sulfate, you should be able to get some epsom salt. It is magnesium sulfate though, so you can't add as much as you would gypsum, and it won't have as strong an effect on the pH.

If you use it often enough try looking around for a chemical suplly. Often time you can get it in bulk from there for much less than at LHBS.

Back