Looking for a good rye example

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
Trying to think of my next (second) AG brew. My first was BM's Centennial blonde, which I undershot my final volume, but seems to have worked itself out. Bottled this weekend, so won't know for a while.

Thinking about my next beer, I'd like something with a unique flavor and good summer-quaffability. I have seen some good posts about rye beers, but can't think if I've ever had one myself.

Can anyone recommend a good commercial rye I'm likely to find in the mid-atlantic region that I can look for?

I think I've seen Terrapin's stuff around here before. Haven't had any myself. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Cheers! :mug:

I don't know if you get Founders but I really enjoy their Red's Rye. As a bonus, there is a clone recipe floating around on here somewhere if you can get it and happen to like it.

I'm interested in finding a good one, too. (I LOVE a good German Rye bread!!!) All I can find are IPA's or (IMO) ones that sound like they'll be overly hopped. I might have to look for the Terrapin.

David, I saw that tonight, but passed it up because it seemed to sell itself as a hop-bomb. How hoppy is it? I want something not too "in your face" as far as bitterness or aroma. I want to see if I can pick out the rye as the star of the show, so to speak.

Instead, I got a sixer of SA Noble Pils because I hadn't had it yet. Wow. Love it. Obviously, not the rye I was looking for. But the guy said one of the other employees there is the real beer-freak and was showing him all the ryes the other night. So I should be able to go in when that other guy is there and have a good chat with him.

Not sure if it's good, but there's a Michelob "Rye PA" out there that some HBT members have described as surprisingly not terrible.

David, I saw that tonight, but passed it up because it seemed to sell itself as a hop-bomb. How hoppy is it? I want something not too "in your face" as far as bitterness or aroma. I want to see if I can pick out the rye as the star of the show, so to speak.

Instead, I got a sixer of SA Noble Pils because I hadn't had it yet. Wow. Love it. Obviously, not the rye I was looking for. But the guy said one of the other employees there is the real beer-freak and was showing him all the ryes the other night. So I should be able to go in when that other guy is there and have a good chat with him.

I checked and it looks like Founders is available in your area. Although their rye PA is definitely hop forward, I had no trouble picking out the rye, especially when I tried one within a few days of having their centennial IPA. If the rye guy has better options for you, by all means take those, but if you can get centennial and red's rye it will help you pick out the rye IMO.

Most of the american rye beers are really hoppy. The Michelobe might be a good bet. If you are interested in a german rye beer, the Paulaner (eg Thurn and Taxis) was supposed to be distributed again in the US, after some absence, in around May.

There is a company called Real Ale based out of Austin, TX area and they make a beer called "Full Moon Rye Pale Ale" and it's quite good. It has the right amount of spiceyness.

If you are interested in trying it out, then PM me... I can get 6 packs of it, no problem. I'd be more than willing to do some sort of trade.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/458/2255

http://www.realalebrewing.com/beer_styles.php

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale (year-round) bottles,draught
Tawny red and full of malt and hops, Full Moon's unique flavor truly satisfies. The smooth sweetness of malted rye and barley is complemented by generous helpings of Willamette and Cascade hops, resulting in an assertive American amber ale.
ABV: 5.7%, IBU: 42, OG(plato): 14

+1 On Hop Rod Rye.

I just made a clone from AHS and I oaked it and put some bourbon in it. It is the best beer I have made to date!

More excellent advice, thanks!

Adam, I may take you up on that offer. Still getting acclimated to the craft brews around here, so I'm not sure what's available where. But there are a couple of good smaller breweries up in PA that are pretty good

Full Moon Pale Rye Ale has become on of my refrigerator staples in the last 6 months. I love this stuff. Anyone know of a good clone?

BTW, their seasonal Coffee Porter is one of the best porters I've ever had. The Gingerman here in Houston had a cask-conditioned one. Mmmmm can't wait til next season.

Back