Looking for a full kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewer4

Reaction score
I am new to the homebrewing scene. I have been lurking the forum for a couple weeks now, absorbing any information I can wrap my head around. I just received my copy of Palmer's How to Brew and can't wait to start reading.

My question here is that I am looking to purchase a complete kit and would like suggestions on what others used to start out. I'm not worried about spending a pretty penny because I know that once I start the brewing process, I won't be able to stop.

Ill be starting out with extracts and don't believe I will be secondary fermenting for the first few batches. Are the any sites that anyone can reccomend for fresh extracts, yeast, or hops. I'm currently looking for a local store to get my ingredients but haven't found much in my area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get started ASAP.

Hey,
I'm on my first batch as well, I started with a real basic LME kit I just wanted to get my feet wet before trying a more in depth kit. I will be trying a brewers best kit next they seem to have a nice variety with good instructions.

I would personally recommend http://www.northernbrewer.com/

They have a great selection and cheap shipping 7.99 for an order. You can get a larger variety of extract kits as well as starting set ups. I would recommend going with a larger brew kettle than you think you might need. You can use a 5 for extract partial boils but I would personally get a 10 gallon if you ever think you will be doing full boils.

Welcome to the hobby.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been looking at a True Brew kit that uses a 6.5 gallon "Ale Pail" primary fermenting bucket with drilled or grommets lid. Has anyone used this kit? Was thinking it looks like a good starter and down the road I could upgrade to a glass carboy or the Better Bottle. Does anyone have any input on fermenting buckets?

What you want in a bucket fermenter is high quality, odorless plastic, about 6-7 gallon capacity, a tight fitting top, and a place for an airlock. The Ale Pail is a fine example of this.

That would be a great starter kit. Shop around, you can find some great deals on Ebay; however, I second northernbrewer.com. Their website is very user friendly, with lots of pictures. As for a first beer...stick with a style that you know you like to drink.

I started with the basic True Brew kit, purchased locally. I brewed my 8th batch of beer tonight, all of them using True Brew extract kits in True Brew buckets. I've made a few modifications along the way and added a carboy and a second fermenting bucket. I have three batches under way right now. I made some mistakes and my first couple of batches were marginally drinkable. The second two turned out quite decent. The rest are still in process (Batch 5 in bottles, batch 6 in secondary, batches 7 and 8 in primaries). Go for it.

About a year ago I shopped "hard" for a starter set and found these guys to have really great kit contents plus a "nearly free" first brew kit (only adds marginally to freight). They are straight shooters and charge actual freight. They answered email questions personally. I made 3 of their kits and all turned out very good (especially the bottles I stashed away for about 6 months). www.windriverbrew.com FYI, I just like these guys...no other connection. I've since moved on to all grain so unfortunately don't buy from them anymore.

For the Northern Brewer do you recommend the basic or delux starting kit. Is their plastic carboy on par with the better bottle or would you recommend spending the extra cash for the glass.

Another quick question, I was looking for suggestions on places to ferment my batches. Since I don't have a garage or basement I was planning on using my closet. Would the process make my room/clothes smell or this a common place that others use?

Wow I am enjoying all the helpful responses. I can't wait to get a kit and start my first batch. I just don't want to get the first kit I see and get a raw deal. Thank you all and keep them coming!

Brewsday said:
About a year ago I shopped "hard" for a starter set and found these guys to have really great kit contents plus a "nearly free" first brew kit (only adds marginally to freight). They are straight shooters and charge actual freight. They answered email questions personally. I made 3 of their kits and all turned out very good (especially the bottles I stashed away for about 6 months). www.windriverbrew.com FYI, I just like these guys...no other connection. I've since moved on to all grain so unfortunately don't buy from them anymore.

I second this. I got my sarter kit from them as well. I thought their website looked a little sketchy at first, so I called them. Really nice guys and very helpful. Definitely a good company to order from.

I order from morebeer.com good site, free shipping over $59. Dont start with pure extract, I started at partial mash with outstanding results, it gets you in the habit of PAYING ATTENTION really early and starts you thinking about using grains and how to use them. Its not much harder and takes little extra time.

IF I was starting over with what I know now, start with a larger kettle for sure, dont just start with 1 fermentor, after your 1st batch you're gonna realize you need 2-3 FV's going at the same time to keep up with drinking beer. Also, I would have used starters earlier, and I would have been washing/harvesting yeast since the beginning and build a viable yeast bank so you dont have to freaking buy yeast every time, it saves a good amount over the long haul. Also, you need an auto-siphon, however the kits only come with 1 3ft tube, you want double that for siphoning so go to a hardware store and have them cut you a 6' 3/8 silicone tube for racking. I use the 3' ones for blowoff tubes as the fit in the hole for the stopper, read around, ask questions, people here know tons

So can I order a kit that comes with a primary and secondary fermenter and basically use the the secondary to ferment a second batch? I am only planning on primary fermentation for my first couple batches until I get the hang of the process. Basically what I am asking, can the "secondary" fermenter in kits be used for primary fermentation to have 2 separate batches ferment at the same time?

For the Northern Brewer do you recommend the basic or delux starting kit. Is their plastic carboy on par with the better bottle or would you recommend spending the extra cash for the glass.

Another quick question, I was looking for suggestions on places to ferment my batches. Since I don't have a garage or basement I was planning on using my closet. Would the process make my room/clothes smell or this a common place that others use?

Lot's of preferences on Fermenters (see the Stickies); but I like the plane old Bucket having fermented w/all three. Safe, easy to carry, move, cheap, etc.... As to places to ferment, "assume" that you will/can/could get some blow off..... I have one of mine just starting up in the Bathroom now.

For the Northern Brewer do you recommend the basic or delux starting kit. Is their plastic carboy on par with the better bottle or would you recommend spending the extra cash for the glass. ?

I Started out with the deluxe starter kit from NB I got it with Better Bottles, I dont think that NB has any other plastic carboys other than the Better Bottles. I don't think they are as cool as glass but they are alot lighter and wont break if dropped.
Also I would recommend adding a plastic spoon or paddle, a SPRING tip bottle filler, and a bottle drying tree. You dont have to have the extras but it makes things so much easier, I did my first batch without them and ordered them the following week. If you plan on doing alot of brewing you will need extra sanitizer, cleaner, bottlecaps, and bottles if you dont have any.

I got the Brewers Best Deluxe kit and have been pleased with all the pieces/parts. 6.5G fermenter, 6.5G bottleing bucket/can be used as a fermenter, 5G glass carboy, brushes, capper, thermometer, hyrdometer, auto siphon, etc etc. As for using the secondary aka carboy as a primary FV... yes I am doing that right now BUT use a blow off tube instead of an airlock if you are doing 5G batches. I also have another batch going in the primary. I scheduled it so I can move the beer from the carboy to the bottleing bucket. Clean the carboy and then move the beer from the primary to the secondary. Which will leave my primary FV open for another batch. Also I use the Brewers Best kits and have been enjoying the brews along with other people ;)

Hey. Welcome to the sickness... I mean hobby. You could ferment in both of those buckets at the same time.

I can't offer any good advice on the equipment, but if I could do my first brews over I'll tell you what I would have changed.

1) I would have brewed a saison, because like you, I fermented in my closet and had no temp control. I live in South Florida and even in the winter ferment temps were well into the 80's. This caused my beers to taste like sow anus. Works great for saisons though. I guess I'm saying check the yeast temps for whatever recipe you're gonna brew and make sure that your closet will be able to maintain them.

2) I would have gotten a wort chiller, although it may not be a priority for extract brews. I was doing full boils and was impatient and terrified of microbes and pitched way too hot on my first couple of batches. Be patient and cool your wort enough.

3) I would get a German speaking female body builder to guard my fermenting beer from me. I was constantly poking at it a fiddling with it. I don't think I ever caused a problem by doing this, but it may be that I was just lucky, or it could also be that pitching at almost 90 degrees and fermenting at 80 masked any problems I caused by poking at it.

If you find that you have overwhelming poking urges I would recommend a clear glass 6.5 gal primary fermenter, and talking the German lady into allowing you to watch the fermentation, just because it's so dern cool.

Bahaha @scubakevdm, you are definitely a comical fermentor. I live Massachusetts so I wont be worrying about any 80-90 temperatures in the house yet. Thinking the temp should be pretty close for the fermentation of ales. Was just worried if I would have to wash my clothes before I wore them (even though they are in fact clean hah).

I guess the only thing I can do is look over all your recommendations and keep doing research until I find a kit right for me. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.

I forgot to answer your question about the closet. I do mine in our pantry which is smaller than our closets. The smell is not bad at all. I actually enjoy it LOLOL. And then after about 3-5 days its gone.

Back