Looking for a first brew suggestion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcook94

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently 20yrs old. On my 21st birthday on July 2, it would be nice to have my first "legal" drink be something I made myself! So I was wondering if any of you kind folks could suggest something to brew for a starter that I can drink on my next birthday. I don't really mind what kind of alcohol it is, I might even just make multiple kinds! So just some suggestions would be nice.

btw I recently got interested into brewing when my grandmother told me stories of her grandmother from Scotland who brew in her bathtub! lol I always liked to cook, so I took interest quickly because you get the same kind of excitement of tasting and enjoying the taste of what you made. I always thought it was a little more gratifying than other hobbies or interests since you actually can taste it when you cook/brew.

Go small and simple. Do some research on this forum, then look at starter kits available on line, especially those with good instructions. Ales are generally easier. So pick an ale you like, and find a basic kit, then go for it.

Also, do some research on the difference between brewing and distilling. Not sure which one you are interested in from your post. Distilling is illegal. Homebrewing is legal and awesome

If you want to brew something that you won't drink for almost a year, you could brew something big like a Russian Imperial Stout, or a nice mead or wine.

Well what kind of beers do you enjoy?

As WayFrae said, you can brew a big beer like an Imperial Stout or a Barleywine, which can be fermented for months and months. Many of them can be kept in bottles for months and months as well, even years. This way, you can brew the beer now and wait until it has a little age and drink it when you turn 21. However, these types of beers can be more difficult to make.

My advice is to find a style of ale that you like and make it. Kits are a great way to go for your scenario, however most LHBS will also have the separate ingredients.

I prefer beer myself, but for a first time attempt at making an adult beverage I'd have to suggest a batch of hard cider. Also, most younger people I know enjoy a sweet drink.

Cider is very easy to make and requires a minimal investment in equipment. I can usually put a batch together and have it in the fermenter in less than an hour, often much less. You can make it within a few weeks of consumption or well in advance if you'd prefer it be allowed to age.

Best of luck and cheers! :mug:

If you want to brew something that you won't drink for almost a year, you could brew something big like a Russian Imperial Stout, or a nice mead or wine.

The absolute hands down best brew I have done to date was a Russian Imperial Stout. I brewed it shortly after finding out my wife was pregnant with our second child and wanted to have a big beer aging during her pregnancy. So my Imperial aged for a little over 9 months before getting my first taste, and it was AMAZING. Came in at about 9% ABV, very smooth with great flavor.

One of my good friends who brews as well immediately brewed the same extract recipe because he loved it so much, but added some bourbon soaked oak chips to the secondary. It came out great too.

The absolute hands down best brew I have done to date was a Russian Imperial Stout. I brewed it shortly after finding out my wife was pregnant with our second child and wanted to have a big beer aging during her pregnancy. So my Imperial aged for a little over 9 months before getting my first taste, and it was AMAZING. Came in at about 9% ABV, very smooth with great flavor.

One of my good friends who brews as well immediately brewed the same extract recipe because he loved it so much, but added some bourbon soaked oak chips to the secondary. It came out great too.

Leggom, Would you be able to send me the recipe for this? Sounds like a winner. I actually have my second child on the way and would love to brew the same thing! Except my second is due in Dec.!! But when my wife's done breast feeding, we can both sit down and enjoy together! Thanks in advance...

You have to be 21 to purchase alcohol. 18 is legal to brew your own.

My understanding is that it is legal to brew it before you are 21 but once the yeast is added then it is legally beer and you can not legally be in possession of that beer.

My understanding is that it is legal to brew it before you are 21 but once the yeast is added then it is legally beer and you can not legally be in possession of that beer.

As long as you stay in the house while consuming it and don't take any out of the house you're fine.

Leggom, Would you be able to send me the recipe for this? Sounds like a winner. I actually have my second child on the way and would love to brew the same thing! Except my second is due in Dec.!! But when my wife's done breast feeding, we can both sit down and enjoy together! Thanks in advance...

Unfortunately I don't have the exact recipe on hand. It was one I picked out of a recipe binder while I was in the brick and mortar Homebrewstuff.com store. I have since moved from Boise to Salt Lake City. If you give them a call, I'm sure they would be happy to tell you or send you the recipe (great and extremely helpful guys there).

Otherwise, I'll be in Boise visiting my in-laws on the weekend of Sept, 6th. I always stop in to Homebrewstuff.com when I'm in town, so I can grab the recipe then (I'll grab the recipe for myself as well to keep on hand) if you haven't got it by then.

Off topic
Leggoma,
Can you hook me up with places to get a decent beer in SLC? Or is it all 3.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Off topic
Leggoma,
Can you hook me up with places to get a decent beer in SLC? Or is it all 3.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The 3.2% beer in Utah is 3.2% by weight so it works out to be about 4% abv. If you stick to buying beer at the grocery store or gas stations then that is all you will find. Also, you won't find much stronger beer on tap either. To get some higher percentage beers go to one of the state liquor stores or The Beer Store. The Beer Store is run by two breweries, Wasatch and Squatters. They have a great selection of beers that are bottled on site and sold cold! Beer is not allowed to be sold cold at the liquor stores.

If you are looking for some brewpubs in SLC then I would definitely go to:

Red Rock: My 2 favorite beers they have are Elephino DIPA and their saison.
Squatters: Hop Rising is one of my favorite local beers and also try Outer Darkness if you want a mean RIS.
Bohemian Brewery: I love Cherny Bock and their Pilsener on tap. They also have a new Altbier and Dortmunder that are both 6% so they are sold in cans.

If you make your way to Park City then I would be sure to visit Wasatch. If you go to Wasatch or just buy their beer at the store try Ghostrider, Devastator, Polygamy Porter, and Provo Girl.

Back