Looking for a "Caramel" Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
I was in the LHBS today and smelled some Cara-Hell that I needed for my recipe. I loved the caramel smell of it. Can anyone suggest beer styles that would emphasize the caramel flavor and/or aroma in the finished beer?

I brewed my first caramel ale last August and it came out great. Did a slightly modified version this past weekend (last Saturday). First one had really good caramel flavors to it due to the combination of additional malts. The first batch is under my recipes list. I'm waiting for the second brewing to be complete and into glass before I post up the altered recipe.

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb crystal 60

.5 oz glacier 60 minutes

WL irish ale yeast

YUMMY!

If you are not doing a full mash and boil, up the crystal a little.

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb crystal 60

.5 oz glacier 60 minutes

WL irish ale yeast

YUMMY!

Providing I have this right, it's a decent price, of course there is still shipping charges, Maybe I'll just drive to my LHBS.

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 8 lbs, 0 oz
lbs oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 10 1 lbs, 0 oz
lbs oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 60 1 lbs, 0 oz
lbs oz
Glacier Pellets .5 oz @ 60 mins
oz @ mins
White Labs Irish Ale 1 ea
ea
5 ingredients. $23.74

Providing I have this right, it's a decent price, of course there is still shipping charges, Maybe I'll just drive to my LHBS.

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 8 lbs, 0 oz
lbs oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 10 1 lbs, 0 oz
lbs oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 60 1 lbs, 0 oz
lbs oz
Glacier Pellets .5 oz @ 60 mins
oz @ mins
White Labs Irish Ale 1 ea
ea
5 ingredients. $23.74

That is it! Make sure grains are properly crushed, and it is a crowd pleaser.

what would i need to change or do different to be able to do this as an extract or mini mash style? i am not set up for all grain, but have done several recipes where there is crushed grain steeped for 20 minutes, etc.

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb crystal 60

.5 oz glacier 60 minutes

WL irish ale yeast

YUMMY!

The hop schedule gets me to 10 IBUs? Is that right? Seems awfully low.

what would i need to change or do different to be able to do this as an extract or mini mash style? i am not set up for all grain, but have done several recipes where there is crushed grain steeped for 20 minutes, etc.

I'd imagine that you could replace the 2-row to 5lb of light dme and steep the caramel. Probably would work.

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb crystal 60

.5 oz glacier 60 minutes

WL irish ale yeast

YUMMY!

I wasn't familiar with Glacier hops, so I Googled them. According to homebrewstuff.com, they are a finishing hop with "Pleasant aroma of citrus mixed with sweet fruity of pear or apricot. Aroma seems to be the strong suit of this hop." It seems to me that a 60-minute boil would pretty much drive away all the aroma of this hop, so rather than buy some, I'm considering using what I already have on hand.

I have some Kent Goldings, which is also listed as a finishing hop, "Refined Gentle, Fragrant and pleasant with flowery tones."

Opinions on how Kent Goldings would work, instead?

I also have some Magnum, that I'd have to go really light on because of its high AA%. "Prized for its high bittering value, the aromatic nature is one of spice and citrus, but is minimal compared to its big bittering. " I'm thinking this one would not be as good in a caramel beer.

I also have some Hallertau, "Traditionally a superior German aroma hop. Mild to semi-strong aroma". Again, this one doesn't sound like it would go as well in a caramel beer.

Any hop is fine. Glacier here is 7% or so and we are not looking for a lot of bitterness or hop character.

It is just what I had when I last made it!

Anything that will add a little bitterness, but not much and NO hop flavor or aroma is fine.

I use glacier for most anything anymore. It stands up bitter-wise and has fantastic flavor.

Thanks! The simplicity of this recipe appeals to me, especially if it does have that caramel flavor I'm after.

Any opinions on using S-04 yeast?

A recipe suggestion for Something a little different from the lighter side that has been offered already: Caramel Quad. This is a recipe I did where I added spice and rum soaked oak. The base beer is excellent (as is the spiced half if you are adventurous)

Back